Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sunbathing while pregnant

premama is offline Registered User

Sunbathing while pregnant

Hi,

Have any of you been to the beach while pregnant? I read that sunbathing is even more dangerous to pregnant women as increased heat to the fetus may cause brain damage.

I would've thought moderate sunbathing with appropraite sunscreen should be fine - pls let me have your thoughts, thanks!

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    "...sunbathing is even more dangerous to pregnant women as increased heat to the fetus may cause brain damage."

I certainly hope not as i went to the beach VERY often! I sun bathed too but always use sun block. My boy is now 6 months and he is a fine happy chap. No problem with motor skills, definitely knows how to boss me around, and started mumbling 'ma' so I guess no brain damage :)

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I don't see how putting sunscreen on you will help your baby. Sunscreen stops your skin from burning but not your body from heating up. In any case I don't see why it would be an issue either way unless you really bake yourself.

I didn't sunbake with my first but I took a lot of really hot baths. It's my vice, what can I say. He is perfectly fine.

The general rule is that if you are starting to overheat or feel dizzy stop whatever you are doing.

joannek is offline Registered User
    i loved sunbathing before i was pregnant. but i hid from the sun once i knew i was pregnant. becasue of the intense heat, which i didn't think i could stand, and cos i heard that you will get dark spots on your face when you're old if you sunbath while you're pregnant. and freckles are more prone to appear of you get tanned while pregnant. by "sunbathing" i mean lying exposed under the sun for prolonged period.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Overheating is dangerous, but also pregnant skin is more sun sensitive so it's much easier to burn.
    I found that even with a moderate amount of sun during pregnancy, I ended up with a few more freckles and moles than I started with.