Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Swimmin

snoopymom is offline Registered User

Swimmin

I have a 4 month old baby. When can I start taking him to the pool? Is the chlorine safe for the baby? Did any of you take your kids swimming? At what age is it considered safe?

BLC
    BLC is offline Registered User
    I personally waited for my daughter's neck muscles to be strong so she could support her head herself in the water. So when my daughter was 3months we started taking her to the pool once a week. At the beginning it would only be a maximum of 15-20min as it was an indoor pool and I didn't want her getting cold.

We had no problem with clorine in the water, or 'germs' that people said were about. However we do have a little girl who is nearly two and thoroughly enjoys the water.

Roll on April when the outdoor pools open again.

Have fun and enjoy the time in the pool with your baby.

snoopymom is offline Registered User
    Thanks. I will start taking my baby to the pool when the pools open. Did you put sunblock on your child? If so, what brand did you use?

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    We first took our little boy swimming at 2 months and we've been going ever since.

We've also always taken him into the shower with us from pretty much 6 weeks so he loves water. Just take your baby out of the pool as soon as they start to shiver.

In outdoor pools we always put a baby sunscreen on him.

BLC
    BLC is offline Registered User
    As a baby for outdoor swimming, we always put sunscreen on , there are so many baby/children ones to choose from. She would also wear a one piece UV swim suit with long arms and down to the knees also a hat with peak and neck cover. Now she is nearly two she has a two piece UV suit and will wear the same sort of hat.

To be honest I thought I would dress her in the cute little swimming costumes but the sun is so strong we save those for indoor swimming.

pattersl is offline Registered User

Baby swimmimg floats

Hi,

I am thinking about taking my 6 month girl to the swimming pool for the first time. Any comments on the different types of baby floats you can get or if they are necessary at all.

Thanks
    L

Matty is offline Registered User
    I have one of the seat type floats, which I put my baby in from 3mths.
    He seems to like it.
    I think he feels nice and secure in it, and I don't have to worry about him squirming out of my arms ( he's now 6 mths and very wriggly).

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

We also have a seat type float and it's great- our son was a little unsure about it at first but it keeps him nice and safe in the water and allows him to kick his legs and splash the water with his hands. He's just too heavy and I agree with Matty too squirmy to just be held!

Am also looking forward to the outdoor pools opening again!

Scroll to top