Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

food at Queen Mary Hospital? last minute questions!

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User

food at Queen Mary Hospital? last minute questions!

Hi all! Well, my baby is due one week from today, so I'm expecting him/her any time in the next two weeks. (They will induce April 12th if I don't go into labor on my own.)

anyway, I have a few last minute questions about delivery at QMH and hope that if anyone has delivered there recently, that they will be able to answer them...

First of all, for the food: Now I expect that they will serve 3 meals a day, but do they give any snacks? What if I'm starving between meals, can I ask for something, or is it better to just bring my own supply? Also, do they only provide water to drink, or will they have juice/milk etc? I already know to ask for oatmeal instead of congee for breakfast. :)

Secondly, How many showers and toilets are available? When I did the hospital tour, I don't remember her pointing any out to us. How many people have to share one bathroom, and did you ever run into any problems with that? When do they let you take a shower, and is there anyone available to help you with that if you need it?

Lastly, are there lockers or closets to put our stuff in, or do we just store it under the bed or what? I'm worried about having my wallet and camera etc left there alone if I'm gone to the toilet or something.

Oh one more thing, what kind of security do they have to make sure babies are kept safe? I assume we have to wear matching ID bracelets, but is there any other thing they do to make sure that someone doesn't walk out with a baby that is not theirs?

Thanks for any help!!
    All the best,
    Katie

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    Babies have a shoplifting tag attached to them - even you can't take baby out of the ward...

Food vile, take your own.

Toilet/shower availability no prob.

Bedside locker only - bring a small padlock if you're concerned.

Thanks so much! I appreciate it!
    All the best,
    Katie

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    Bring your own snacks. I didn't much care for the meals, but they weren't that bad. Mainly things like chicken and rice, or congee. The only snacks I remember were that we were given an orange one afternoon! Just an orange, not cut up or anything!

My Mum gave me a beautiful fruit hamper in hospital, that was really nice to snack on when I had the urge. I also would have packed some crackers, muesli bars that kind of thing, if I had thought ahead.

To be honest I really didn't feel like eating for a week after giving birth.

There's a cabinet beside the bed but no lock. I didn't worry about it too much but I can see that if you are the kind to get concerned then it would be a little stressful. A padlock is a good idea.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Take your own snacks, but I agree with HKaussie, I wasn't that hungry for the first few days.
    I opted to take a box of cereal with me for breakfasts. (Take your own bowl and spoon too). Each morning when they bought around breakfast, I asked for milk and they bought me a small carton.
    From memory they only provide water.

My Husband brought lunch and dinner in for me.

They have a great security system for the babies. They have electronic tags in their foot i.d's.
    It works very well, I set the alarm off 3 times trying to show my baby through the door, to friends who had come to visit outside of visiting hours. By the way they really don't like it when you do that and I got told off!

There is a shower and toilet on each ward, usually shared between 6 beds.
    I had a shower each morning and night, and changed into a fresh pair of PJ's which are piled up in the bathroom.
    It was easy for me as I had no stitches, but if you need help the nurses are happy to help you. ( I asked for help the first time).

You shouldn't need to worry about anything going missing, but take a padlock for your bedside locker.

Good luck!

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    I only just saw your question about the showers. I don't remember any problems with that. There was never a fight for the bathroom!

The fresh PJs are wonderful. Don't even bother bringing your own, they will get messy and bloody (sorry you probably don't want to know that). It's so nice to have an endless supply of fresh pyjamas to change into any time.

I think, with the bathroom, I showered at strange times in the day so it didn't clash with other people.

They provided a jug of water that got topped up but it was nice to have my own mug to drink out of from home.

PS - Good luck, it is all so exciting! This thread is bringing back memories.

Thanks for the additional replies. I appreciate it!!
    All the best,
    Katie

JennyB is offline Registered User
    It's funny people say they weren't hungry after the birth. I was absolutely ravenous after the birth of both my children. I was quivering with low blood sugar like I had run a marathon or something! The ward food even tasted good, I was so hungry. And I had eaten well in labour. Glad I brought some muesli bars. 2nd baby, I managed to time my arrival on the ward with dinner being served 5 mins later
    ;-) but I was still hungry and ate 2 muesli bars as well!

They bring warm milk at bedtime (you need your own cup).

I never clashed with anyone in the bathroom either. You know there is a local custom for women not to bath themselves for 30 days after delivery - maybe that helps matters! Also people are definitely thrown out of their regular routine, so you don't get a rush on showers around breakfast time like you might expect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast