Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Helper's dayoff during easter holiday

mintycat is offline Registered User
    Yes but that actually is Ching Ming Festival and not Easter.

joannek is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    that's why they call it statutory holidays & bank holidays. bank holidays are the red days on the calendar, that's when the bank closes & most white collars are off. blue collars (drivers, factory workers, service industry, domestic helpers, etc.) are entitled to stat holidays only.

wkwchoy is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Read Chapter 4 of Guide booked issued by the Labour department, it has all the details on holidays for Foreign Domestic Helpers in HK:

Marta is offline Registered User
    I don't quite understand the whole problem....Is it sooo difficult to let your helper go for a few days? Is it so difficult to take care of your child or children together as parents for 5 days? Maybe yes, because there is nobody to wipe away the poo or the runny nose or to carry the bag. Come on people, it's just 5 days. The DH are working hard enough and after all, if they are Phillipinos and catholic, Easter is the highest celebration in Catholic church. Just let them celebrate it and wish them all the best!
    I come from a country where it is not custom to have so much help, let alone live in and with these working hours. Hey, you know what? The mothers and fathers and, if they are lucky and are still together, the parents get the job done. Not only for 5 days.
    Happy easter to all of you and enjoy your kids!!!

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User
    Beacon Hill, Kowloon.
    Absolutely Marta! The labour department give guidelines on areas like salary, annual vacation leave, public holidays, salary and food allowance. It's up to each employer to decide how generous they want to be above these minimum guidelines.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Marta, from your full on response you've clearly jumped to some strange and unfair conclusion that anyone wanting to know their legal requirements concerning their helper's holidays is a lazy parent. The question was pretty simple and I don't think there was anything in it that warranted the attack. Other people's answers saved me time so thank you to the people that answered the question.

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    cheung chau
    My helper is a practising Catholic and I realize it is an important time of year for her, however I do not feel that I am being either a bad parent or a bad employer by giving her only the legally required days off. I suggested that she might like to work on Ching Ming and take either Saturday or Monday instead, to make a 2-day weekend, which she is happy with. I've also told her that if she would like to go to church on any of the other days then it's fine, but I would like her to come in and do some work on those days - we will fit around her schedule. She seems to be happy with the whole arrangement (as I would be if my boss was as flexible with my holidays).

ELT is offline Registered User
    Sometimes we are so fortunate that we forgot about needs of others -- There are a lot of working parents in HK who are in service industries, constructions, transportation etc. They are not entitled to bank holidays like most of us using this forum. Also, unlike in western countries, a lot of families in HK hire DH NOT because they have the extra few bucks to spend but because they HAVE TO otherwise they can't work and make enough money to raise kids. To some families, it is IMPORTANT that their DH observe statutory holidays.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast