Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Helper's dayoff during easter holiday

Ratio3533 is offline Registered User
    We've given ours Easter Friday, but she works on Thursday which has no significance for her. At least she can go to the church on Easter Friday as it is a big day for Catholics. We can't afford to give ours extra days because we have a 6 month old, but she more than makes up for it when we are out of town a few times a year when she has nothing to do after her initial "clean up" the day we've left.

Kiya is offline Registered User
    My helper only wanted Good Friday off... when i asked if she wanted any other days she replied" what am I gonna do for so many days??" Better for me I thought!!
    Happy Easter!

HappyV is offline Registered User
    I know a lot of people who insist that their helper's were only 'entitled' to the Thursday off. Yet these people were not working over Easter - indeed, in some cases, Mum doesn't work at all. Can anyone explain to me why an educated woman with one child and no work commitments need a full time helper 24/7, and still must be so meagre with time off?

aussiegal - It's cases like these (and I don't think they're so few as is often suggested) that mean it is important for someone to point out that giving them an extra day off here and there probably wouldn't kill you.

My personal feeling is that if some parents worked anywhere near as hard as their DHs, they would feel like they deserved more than one day off............

I fully expect to be flamed, but we all know families who work their DHs into the ground,and bitch and still whine and moan.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Happyv, you completely missed the point of the post. The original poster wanted to know which days she had to give her helper off. She didn't say that she was some lazy, westerner who prefered to spend the day at the hair salon than with her children. Nobody did and many clarified that they worked. And yet clearly you've chosen to interpret that and the other posts as meaning just that.

Perhaps you and the people you associate with are like that, in which case save it for them rather than having a go at women whose stories you don't know.

As for myself, I am like other women who commented on this thread. I work, in fact I run my own business which happens to be based in Australia. My staff are in Australia. Thursday was not a public holiday there and the nature of the business meant that some only got Friday off all weekend. Have a guess what that meant for me? I stole moments all day Thursday without a helper to get my work done and worked into the night (as I always do so I can spend time with my son during the day), then I did the same Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Sunday my helper already had off but I gave her Monday off too. Did I mention my son is 14 months old and I am 8 months pregnant now? My helper also gets to leave anytime she wants after 3pm on Saturdays (even if my husband is at the office) and doesn't come back til Monday morning. Clearly I'm just another lazy westerner you like to have a go at...

So next time you feel like adding your two cents maybe think firstly about the actual question asked in the post (i.e. she wasn't calling for you to make a judgement on her rather just some information) and then give weight to what other people actually write. Quite a few of us did mention that we work yet still you felt it ok to insult us...

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    I have the luxury of not working and therefore, in the 9 months that our DH has been working for us, she has had 3 trips home - amounting to 9 weeks in total. These suited us (mostly during our holidays) and gave her an opportunity to spend time with her children, including Christmas, graduation etc. I therefore totally agree that helpers are entitled to time off.

However, this does not make me a better mother, person or employer. I have also benefitted, as I like to have time with my family without a DH around. Friends of mine do not have this luxury because they work. They are not lazy parents and they are not bad employers, they just have nobody else to collect their children from school etc. One of them has just had to take most of her annual leave to facilitate her helper's trip back for graduation.

Aussiegal makes a valid point; when someone is simply asking what the legal requirements are, they should not be risking a barrage of accusations about their parenting skills etc. They are just asking for basic information (like the very helpful web link that was posted). Surely forums such as this are here for us to provide one another with support?

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Get off your high horse, aussiegal. I said cases like 'these' - not yours: I was responding to defend of a pretty inoculous remark made previously. If you were living back in australia with your staff, you certainly wouldn't have access to full time help - unless you're in an income bracket beying my apprehension. What would you do then, if your work demanded longer hours? Child care centres generally close 6pm/7pm. So we have it pretty easy here in terms of one person who will not only look after the kids, but also cook, clean the toilet and do our laundry.

Of course it's hard to work strange hours- but my work also means long evenings, often working through public holidays. I also have a young child, and an often life-threatening medical condition. It should be pretty clear from my post that my comment didn't apply to you personally unless you're one of these people who work their maids hard for no other reson than you can.

EVERY time there's series of public holidays which are not all statuatory holidays, someone gets on here saying "But I don't HAVE to, do I?". So many helper's in this communty get treated like crap - I think it's really important to have an extreme voice out there to back them up. The miad next door gets no food and no food allowance, and has a Sunday 8pm curfew, or she gets fined. A relative of my helper just left her employment because the employer refused to pay her while the family as on holiday for a month, and has refused to allow the helper to stay in their flat while they were away - she had to camp out with friends. A woman I know just fired her helper 'because I didn't like the products she used to clean the bathroom, and she smelt funny'. Another helper just turned up at our door with bruises on her face - she won;t go to the police because she cannot afford to not be working, and the law in HK is just plain insane when it comes to prosecuting employers. Holidays are in some ways the least of their worries, but I find (in my experience)they are generally indicative of how a person perceives their role as an employer: those who give holidays fairly (and perhaps, even generously) are those who treat their helpers well in other regards.

If you don't treat your maid well, then you know who you are, and my coments apply to you. If you treat her well - congratulations: you're swimming against the flow.

These women leave their whole lives and come ere and work really damn hard - and they need to be congratulated and nurtured- and given holiday you can give them.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Happyv,
    you're still missing the point. If you want to have a go at people (us hirers of domestics) who essentially keep whole other economies going (i.e. the Phillipines) just set up a separate thread. My point and Mum of two's point is none of us commented on this post looking to be abused and no body made any comments that warranted it. Not one comment suggests to me that any of the ladies commenting treat their workers badly.

In any case, keep in mind that we are employers and they are our employees so if anyone out there only wanted to give their helper the Thursday off it doesn't automatically make them a bad person. My husband's employer doesn't ever tell him to take non-stipulated holidays off. What's the difference? (and yes, he works very, very long hours so it is comparable.)

I'm not saying, there aren't mean and unscrupulous employers out there, we've all heard the horror stories, but was it necessary to take the stance you did? You knew you would be flamed so why bother?

shri is offline Administrator
    I think the original posters question has been answered.

I am struggling to see how a question about "easter holidays" deteriorated into a discussion about ethics and morals.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123