Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Episiotomy

mmec is offline Registered User

Episiotomy

I heard that if one decides on natural delivery, doctors in HK will perform an episiotomy everytime. If this is true, I would like to learn from the experienced moms how painful this part is...during and after the delivery. Any forms of pain relief?

Geo
    Geo is offline Registered User
    I went thru the normal delivery. Didnt even know the doc had done the episiotomy cos was busy pushing and concentrating on my breathing. Heard the doc did inject an anastha. The cramp on my stomach while pushing and the wait for the baby to be out covers all other pain.

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User
    I had an episiotomy w/ my first, but it was in the US, not here. I didn't have an epidural, so when he had to cut he gave me a local anesthetic. It just felt like a little pinch (I guess the same as getting a shot), and then he waited a few minutes for it to take effect. I didn't feel a thing when he cut, but I remember the sound!! lol. It sounded like cutting through really strong, thick fabric, like canvas or something. Weird, I know.

I'm not sure about the procedure here, if they do it every time or not. The recovery, I wouldn't say is painful, but is definitely uncomfortable. (Then again it was 4 years ago so I don't remember it too well...) I remember being afraid of my first bowel movement because I thought it would be really painful (honestly it probably was), and I was afraid of tearing the stitches, but that won't happen. They did give me pain medication to help with the recovery. But again, that was in the States. I think if you are really in pain, just ask for something and they should give it to you.
    All the best,
    Katie

joannek is offline Registered User
    i don't think it's a routine. i think it depends on the doc & the patient. i did mention to my ob that i didn't want an episiotomy when we went thru my birthplan. but her suggestion was "asian ladies usually need one. and it's actually heals better than a tear, and most asian ladies tear without an episiotomy." ctrabel1 described it exactly as how it was for me. it wasn't painful afterwards, but i was taking panadol for 3 days cos i was afraid it'd hurt. then for the first 2 weeks, if i sat on a very soft sofa, it'd hurt a little.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    Depends on the doctor, the woman, and the birth.

BB #1 - I got one because I was tearing in a dangerous way - doctor informed me & asked permission to do it & I agreed.

BB#2 - also tore a little , but very small & not in a dangerous way - so doctor & I ignored it and got sewed up afterwards (much smaller & less painful).

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    Had one with my first - recovery was bloody painful for a good week or so, and then very uncomfortable for a couple of weeks more. The second time I had a little tear and it was much better - healed v. quickly with not much discomfort. The actual procedure is nothing (you have far worse to be dealing with).

Matty is offline Registered User
    They can't give you an episiotomy without your permission if you have specified that you don't want one.
    I delivered at QMH, no episiotomy, no tearing. Baby was 3.2kg.
    During the last few weeks of pregnancy I did massage on my perenium daily, which softened it and made it supple.

I also think my midwife was excellent, she applied pressure as I pushed which i think made a difference.

capital is offline Banned
    As far as pain goes, my episiotomywas really really sore for about 2 weeks. and tender for the third week. I didn't feel th cut as had an epidural. I ripped open on stitch, so that is why it took that extra week to heal. It has to heal from the bottom up as you cannot restitch it days later. I was very constipated, so avoid that at all costs!!

I had a third degree tear with my second child and that was even more painfull (after)than the epsiotomy. It was good three weeks, but I again was constipated and ripped one stitch open.I had a natural delivery (no meds) but when the baby is delivered you are in so much pain from contractions I didn't feel the rip at all. They gave me local freezing which was wonderfull!!! I was in so much pain! I had also broke my tailbone which was why I was in so much pain, although I din't realize that until after. The needle for the local itself was not fun.Think of the pain for a needle at the dentist, only now they are putting it somewhere much more sensitive!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast