Angelcare Monitor - need plywood?

woodk6 is offline Registered User

Angelcare Monitor - need plywood?

I just bought an Angelcare monitor and started reading the instructions. It says that you need a completely rigid surface below the mattress and as you know most cots have the wooden slats with gaps between them for ventilation. Anyway, the manual recommends that you get a 1/4" plywood piece that covers the entire bottom of the crib beneath the mattress. Then you put the Angelcare sensor between the mattress and the plywood. I hope that make sense!!!

Where on earth in Central HK can I find a piece of plywood (or similar rigid something or other) and then proceed to have it cut to the exact size of our cot?

Or those of you that have this monitor, what did you do?

Thanks!!!!

beetle888 is offline Registered User
    I've had AngelCare since our DS was born. He is now 2.4 and we still use it for the sound function. I found the movement and sound functions invaluable in our first 18 months. I've used it in a wicker bassinet, playpen and a cot without any problems. Our son's cotbed has woodent slats with the gaps you mention. I have not had any problems with functionality when using the sensor pad normally on the cotbed slats - across the slats and the gap without any additional plywood to provide a continuous rigid surface. (Our cotbed is from Ikea, FYI.) The weight of the mattress and baby has always kept the sensor in it's original position in the middle of the bottom of the crib across the slats. Of course, the baby rolling or crawling away from the sensor pad and setting off the alarm was always another story!

Hope this helps!

joannek is offline Registered User
    i also used angelcare for the first year, but then the parent unit battery slot was broken, so we put it away. bub's bed has wooden slat as you mentioned & we had no problem using the angelcare. so i don't think you need the ply wood. =) happy listening!!

woodk6 is offline Registered User
    Thanks so much for the help! One more thing....it also says to not tuck the bedding under the mattress. But with my cot fitted sheet, it's next to impossible to not tuck it under as if I try to keep it on the sides, the sheet pops off. I assume the answer is that a fitted sheet is so thin that it doesn't matter but thought I'd check with you all to see what you do. Thanks!!!

jamesandsimo is offline Registered User
    i also have the angel care monitor - its just on the slats and works fine. Just test it a few times to see how it goes.

My baby has just started rolling and for the first time the other night it went off at 4 in the morning! So i am not sure how it will now be as he moves around so much at night time now - anyone else find the same thing?

beetle888 is offline Registered User
    WoodK6: The fitted sheet has no effect at all, no worries.

Jamesandsimo: I found that my son tended to shift downward and side-to-side so I placed the sensor pad in the center of the lower half of the cot and positioned him in the lower half when he went to bed. This seemed more efficient and circumvented some of the false alarms. There was nothing we could really do if he shifted completely toward either railing and set off the alarm but at least it only happened a few times a week for us. There are sleep positioners available out there as well but I am not sure if they are recommended because of SIDS.