Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Dr's visit - unbelievable...

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    New Territories

Maybe a reason why the OB was reluctant

I'm not trying to defend the doctor - but some doctors may think that using ultrasound to ONLY check on the gender is unethical. In India & China (where there is a problem w/ female infanticide and gender-based abortion) I believe it is illegal.

Maybe the OB was concerned because you were so up-front about it being about the gender and not about "wanting to see the BB more" or "bonding w/ the BB" or "wanting to be extra-sure and see the heart-beat"?

Zen is offline Registered User
    Tai Tam
    I had my baby in Tokyo. My gynac refused to tell me the gender, point blank. Then she explained that she got a lot of clients from China who just wanted to find out the gender. If it was a girl, they usually aborted it. So as a policy, she didnt reveal the gender to all her clients.

mosmom is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong SAR
    I HAD to get back to this thread. Union hospital gave me a surprise call last week to confirm that they received my complaint email and that they fully agreed with me and.... that they would offer me a complimentary US scan at the hospital! Woooow! That was honestly more than I ever expected. I had merely wanted to inform them that one of their OBGYNs simply has an attitude problem, etc. The fact that they called me back, apologised AND offered me the US scan was amazing. So, I had my check-up today (with a different doctor, obviously) and am more than happy with the results. At the end, I got several US pics of my baby, a report from the doctor and an excellent attitude from the staff. I thought I had to share this here in all fairness. Re the gender of my baby... well, check the thread about the 'Chinese Birthing Chart'..

ladypilot is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay
    Hi Mosmom,

I can understand how irritating your experience was. I would be upset too!! You are the one who is paying for their medical services! Regardless of whether the doctor thinks it is unethical (which means he is being presumtuous about you) or that he was unhappy that you came in for only one appointment (completely shallow), etc. there is absolutely no reason for any doctor to be unprofessional and rude about it. You had every right to feel the way you did. It is none of anyone's business why you wanted to know the gender of your baby. I fully support your situation and am sorry you had to go through that. :bighug

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12