Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

wisdom tooth removal during pregnancy

wittlewabbit is offline Registered User

wisdom tooth removal during pregnancy

I have been suffering from headaches every now and then from my uppper wisdom tooth, but i have been postponing the removal of it dues to obvious reasons-----Xrays, pain killers and the L.A which i am afraid might enter the placenta.....have anyone gone through this before? i have 8 more weeks before the baby is due , but i am not sure if i can go through this anymore.....:(

spockey is offline Registered User
    I had gum surgery mid way through pregnancy. I saw one of the top dental surgeons in Sydney.... and under great assurances by this dental surgeon, he said that the anesthesia you use for dental surgery doesn't affect the baby as it only works on the area you wish to numb... but the after effect is where the trouble is... I only had panadol to thrive on... wasn't pleasant and I only took when I really couldn't bear it any longer. Funnily enough, that experience with pain put me off a c-section birth that I had planned. So, I don't think your bub will be affected by the surgery but you will have to bear the pain for a day or two depending on how complicated your wisdom tooth removal is.

wittlewabbit is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the reassurance, meanwhile i am trying to ride out the pain and delay it as far as possible. But if worse comes to worst, at least now i think it is not as dangerous as i make out to be.