Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My baby is here!

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User

My baby is here!

Our second daughter, Zoe Kar-Yi Wan, was born on Tuesday April 3rd, 2007 at 1:29pm. She was 3.535 kg (7lbs 13 oz) and 52 cm (20.5 in). Same size as my first daughter! We delivered at Queen Mary Hospital.

So, for those of you who are planning to go to QMH, here are a few things I learned...

1) BE VOCAL! If you want or need something, ask, because they don't really ask you how you are doing. I had to ask for water several times during labor.

2) I had an epidural. This was my first time having one, and they gave it to me full power. By the time I was ready to push, I couldn't because I didn't have any power down there. I had to wait TWO HOURS (!!!) until the stuff wore off enough for me to push effectively. The mid-wives were not very helpful. I asked them if they could watch the monitor and tell me when to push, but they said it was too hard to do. Whatever. So my advice is if you get an epi, ask for them to only turn it on 50% or 75% or something like that so that you can still feel the sensation of when to push.

3) I had a birth plan all typed out, but there wasn't really any good time to give it to anybody. Everything pretty much worked out. The only thing I really had to insist on was the no med students (because they all know my husband and I didn't want them to see me that way). So unless there are very specific things that you will be adamant on, I found the birth plan to be useless. As long as you know what you want and aren't afraid to be vocal about it...

4) I only took 1 package of the matrnity pads. I needed about 3! They use them during the labor, and you will need them afterwards as well. I had to send my hubby out to get more.

5) Don't wear toe nail polish. They will make you take it off. This made me sad because I just got a pedicure the week before and really loved the color I had! I couldn't take it off myself because I was in too much pain with the contractions, so they made hubby do it.

6) The food was ok. Definitely not the best I've ever had, but not exactly the worst either. For breakfast the first day they brought the congee, but I just asked if they had anything else and they brought me the "sweet porridge." The oatmeal was already sweetened, but I had brought some craisins to add. It was pretty good. The second day they automatically brought me the oatmeal. For lunch and dinner they bring pretty much the same thing: a big bowl of rice, some kind of meat (chicken or pork) in a sauce, and some kind of steamed vegetable. For lunch they also give you an orange. I found that the first several hours after birth I wasn't that hungry, but the next two days I was starving. I had taken some snacks with me, and it's a good thing because they don't bring you anything else besides at meal times. It might be nice, if you have people come visit you, to have them bring something else. Oh, the meal times coincide w/ the visiting hours.

7) TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE TIME YOU HAVE TO SLEEP! The best two hours of sleep I got every day were from 5-7 am when they took her for bathing and to sleep under the warmer and whatever else they did with her. Besides a nurse coming to take my temp sometime during those two hours, I was left pretty much in peace. Pretty much all day and night you have people coming to check on you and the baby and doing different exams and all sorts of stuff. So when you have an hour or two here and there that nobody is bothering you and your baby is sleeping, take advantage of it. You will need it!

8) They don't let you use the electrical outlets. I had taken a hair dryer, but didn't get to use it. There are no outlets in the bathroom. I did have to charge my cell phone once, but did it in the middle of the night when no nurses were coming in and out.

That's all I can think of at the moment.... If any of you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them!
    Last edited by ctrbabe1; 04-08-2007 at 10:14 PM.
    All the best,
    Katie

pics

I forgot to add some pics...

The first pic we got to take, several hours after the birth. (They don't allow cameras in the delivery room).

The proud big sister! She loved Zoe immediately! And so far so good. No jealousy to speak of... (yay!!)

Finally at home, in her own little bed...

All the best,
    Katie

rani is offline Administrator
    Katie,

She's goregeous! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing and I'm glad everything went smoothly!
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    Congrats!! You've got two beautiful girls!

carang is offline Registered User
    congrats, both of your children are beautiful!

just one quick question.... how did you manage to sneak your older one into the ward???

mosmom is offline Registered User
    Katie, all the best to you and your family! Great that everything wen well! And many thx for the tips! Wish you a good recovery.

Thank you everyone!

Carang- actually it worked out quite well because my bed happened to be the closest to the door, and not really that close to the nurses station. So when my friend who was watching her brought her in, they just came straight to my bed and we closed the curtain and the nurses never knew. There was one time (I think the second day) that a nurse popped in for something, and she saw my daughter, but didn't really say anything about it. I was just glad my daughter got to come because I think that bonding moment was really important.
    All the best,
    Katie

Oh, also meant to say that when the visiting hours start, they just open up the doors so people can come in and out. There is no sign in sheet or anyone standing at the door to make sure you only have 2 people come or anything like that.
    All the best,
    Katie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top