Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Milk does your body good?

Matty is offline Registered User
    As a child, I pretty much refused to eat anything.
    My mum was so desperate for me to eat, she would let me eat junk rather than having me starve.
    My saving grace during those years ( so my doc used to say) was that I drank loads of milk. The vitamin and mineral content of milk is huge.
    (luckily) I am not allergic to anything, have the strongest bones around, am perfectly healthy and thankfully now have a great diet (milk definatley inluded).

Obviously some people are allergic to dairy, but unless your child is, there isn't much reason not to give them milk.

There are a million things that cause allergies, not just milk. It just seems that milk gets a lot of attention.

joannek is offline Registered User
    there was also a study that found out genes are the cause of cancer. this study found out that female mouse who were exposed to pesticide in utero (when their eggs are forming), give birth to baby mouse's who grow up to a 100% chance of developing cancer. whereas for male mouse, when they're exposed to pesticide during their puberty (that's when their sperms are forming), give birth to baby mouse who grow up to 100% chance of developing cancer. in this study, they actually sprayed the mouse with pesticide.

this sounds so much more possible than milk causing cancer.

plus, in the countries where this study say they drink milk more (in USA & UK) are also where they're facing >50% obese population. they chow down on processed food, steaks, burgers & fries. there portions are huge. i'm sure in europe the kids drink milk too. but their cancer rate is not as high.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User
    Interestingly cows milk is always pushed as good for humans because of protein yet breast milk is only 1.5% protein... I still have a hard time with the idea that cows milk is for a calf and not humans. It kind of makes sense yet I love cheese!

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    There have been quite a few studies that found that milk is not good for us. Apparently the calcium does not come in a form the body can actually use so it's wasted and we end up consuming just more empty calories.

That said there are findings and statistics for everything so i say everything in moderation.

cemily is offline Registered User
    Cow's milk is for calves.

Everything that RTHK reports says is true. Plus more adverse effects not discussed.

Matty is offline Registered User
    No one is suggesting that breast milk isn't the obvious choice.
    I guess we are talking about what you give your toddler. I bet that their aren't many children still breastfeeding at 3!
    For the majority of people milk is a great source of nutrition.
    Just ask my 97 year old Grandmother.

Here is a link which tables the vitamin and mineral content of milk.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=130

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    While I agree with Matty that cow’s milk has lots of nutrients in it and is clearly a nutritious food. I don’t think that you can take away the fact that many babies are being given cow’s milk formula (or indeed other non-cow’s milk formulas) and this is causing problems with cow’s milk (and other foods) later in life.

For a very important time in the child’s life cow’s milk has, not just been a part of the baby’s diet but been the MAIN nutrition source. I believe that there would be a problem with any food that is suddenly used as the main nutritional source and where variety isn’t available.

The evidence is there to show that babies exclusively breast fed for at least six months have less allergies, not just allergies to cow’s milk. And clearly if a person has an allergy to cow’s milk then cow’s milk will do them no good – not matter how many nutrients it has.

Would we be seeing the number of allergies to cow’s milk if we, as a society, hadn’t feed cow’s milk to our babies? And would people be worrying so much about the benefits or otherwise of cow’s milk if we hadn’t made it such a huge part of our diet?

I don’t think the problem lies with the cow’s milk but rather with our general attitude to food. My personal belief is that we need a varied diet which is as close to its natural form as possible. And I know that I feel much healthier when I manage this than when I don’t, whether I have cow’s milk as part of my diet or not.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by barbwong_130 View Post
    I don’t think the problem lies with the cow’s milk but rather with our general attitude to food. My personal belief is that we need a varied diet which is as close to its natural form as possible. And I know that I feel much healthier when I manage this than when I don’t, whether I have cow’s milk as part of my diet or not.
    Exactly. Everything in moderation, realizing that some--and it is a small minority--have allergies to certain foods.
    At the base, our bodies are hunter/gatherer systems. More fruit, veggies, water, exercise; less meat and other things. But some of everything, unless it is a man-made something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12