Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Immigration issue - husband sponsoring me

Vix
    Vix is offline Registered User

Immigration issue - husband sponsoring me

Hi All,

I haven't been able to find the answers to these questions during a brief look at the immigration website. Can anyone help ?

My husband has HK residency (as an expat) and I am moving out to HK to join him with a newborn in July. The visa lady at his work says that it is easier to apply for residency once you are in HK, so has advised that both myself and the baby enter the country as tourists and apply for a proper visa at a later date.

- How long will it take to get residency visas and will the baby qualify for state health care on a tourist visa (I doubt it) ?

- Is it even possible to arrange residency visas before entering the country ?

- Will will need to do a visa run to convert our tourist visas to proper ones ?

Many thanks,

Vicky

Neha is offline Banned
    Hi

u can actually come to HK on tourist visa and then apply for Resident visa but immigrations often u that it is better that you rhusband apply for your visa before u come to HK. It takes about 4-6 weeks before the visa is issued. I applied my sons visa as he was not born in HK They gave to me in 11 days. As long as your husband has al the papers like Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate of you child, His company letter sponsoring him, His appartment lease etc there should be no problem. HK immigration is the best in the world. straight to the point.

Regarding govt assistance for your child. As soon as your son gets his resident visa u enjoy Medical assiatance. You just nee dto take his passport with u and the copy of visa stamped at the passport

I hope the above is helpful

carang is offline Registered User
    it is very easy for you to get the dependent visa(there is no such thing as residency visa). i'd apply before you come. then you have no worries. once you have the dependent visa then you can work and you and baby both are ok for using the public health system. if you enter on a tourist visa, it will just mean a trip to immigration to convert it to a dependent visa, i don't think you need to run to Macau. it is really so straight forward, you're hubby should do it before you come.

this however does NOT apply if you are (originally) from mainland CHINA.... they have totally different rules and it is nearly impossible to get a dependent visa.

Vix
    Thank you both.

We are both British, so the mainland China issue is not a problem.

I have just realised that as my baby isn't born yet and won't be until a couple of weeks before I leave for Hong Kong, its birth certificate will probably not be ready in time for the application. Although I guess we could courier it to HK as soon as it has been created.

I would prefer to enter HK as a dependent, rather than a tourist, but time constraints may not allow this.

I appreciate your replies though.

V

rani is offline Administrator
    Won't baby need a passport to travel? Don't you need a birth certificate to get a passport?
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

good points rani... perfectly correct. you can't travel without a passport and as far as i know every passport for a child requires a birth cert.

Vix
    Yes, he or she will need a passport, but we will be getting this in the UK a week after he / she has been born. As I understand it, the birth certificate would be needed by HK immigration before we arrive in HK in order to enter as a dependent rather than a tourist. If it takes a few days to get it to HK by courier and 11 days or so to grant the visa, that will be too late for us.

what we don't understand is...how can you get a passport without already having the birth cert?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast