Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Anyone living in Pokfulam?

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User

Anyone living in Pokfulam?

My husband ,five and a half year old daughter, two and a half year old son and I will be arriving from Australia next month. We have basically decided to live in Pokfulam for a number of reasons but would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has or does live there.

We have chosen Pokfulam mostly because it is a compromise between being reassonably close to my husbands work in Central and not such a bad bus ride to my daughters school in Kowloon Tong. We also like that it is a bit greener and that you seem to be able to get a little bit more for your money than the mid levels.

I guess my questions are these. Is there much to do at night or the weekend? My husband and I are quite social and like to go out a little. Would we mainly have to go in to Central for that? How convenient would that be? Secondly, we like the look of the Bel air or the Belchers because of all the facilities for children. We have basically settled on the Belchers though as the school bus picks up 25 minutes later there than at Bel air. Does anyone live in the Belchers complex? If so ,what do you think?

I'd appreciate any thoughts,
    Sally.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    Hi.

Belchers is a bit further north than Bel Air. I've not personally been there but know that it is closer to Central and is a little out of the way of the 'Cyberport' complex where Bel Air is, and Pok Fu Lam in general.

We live at Bel-Air, and yes, there are loads of kids facilities here. And loads of kids. We decided on it for that reason and because the apartments are new (and I just couldn't be bothered with negotiating new kitchens with landlords etc when we were looking).

I would say there is more to do in the evenings at Bel Air than Belchers....cinema, Le Meridien hotel for drinks/dinner. there is also a Starbucks, Juice Bar, PostOffice, Supermarkert and other (fairly limited) shopping at Cyberport. But if you want a bit more 'action' in the evenings, a 15 min taxi-ride is all it takes into Central/SoHo.

Hope this helps
    K

Thanks for your thoughts. I actually did prefer the look of Bel air but it would mean having to put my daughter on a bus at 6.50 in the morning instead of 7.25, a big difference at that time of day especially for a five year old. I do like the idea of hving the cinema, hotel etc close by though. Oh well, maybe we're back to the drawing board,
    Sally.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong is a pretty small place.
    You'll find that you have to travel to Central for nightlife.
    If you live in Pokfulam you'll find that although you can't walk to nearby restaurants, it really still is a very convenient and cheap 10-15min cab ride.

rani is offline Administrator
    We live in Pok Fu Lam too! We moved from Mid-Levels when I was pregnant with D. We love it! Belcher's is a nice complex. You have a few restaurants below in the Westwood. Kam Boat Chinese is pretty good, but I would give the others a miss and head to SOHO/LKF. You've also got a huge Wellcome superstore, which has a fresh bakery and wet market. You can also walk down Belcher's St and explore Kennedy Town. There's a pharmacy, household stores, dry cleaners and more.

The best part about living in a compex is that there are so many kids. They all come down to the playground in the afternoon, plenty of space to ride bikes/scooters etc.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

That sounds fantastic Rani. Do you actually live in Belchers? I am looking forward to catching one of your Cyberport coffee mornings when I arrive although my kids may be a little older than some of the others who attend. Do you still have the mornings?

rani is offline Administrator
    We're at Baguio, which is the complex above Cyberport. I love the Rose Noire bakery at Wellcome, and we're at the Belcher's at least 1x week.

The Cyberport coffees are now on Thurs afternoons. Let me know when you can make it and I can bring D down as well. He'll be 5 this summer, around the same age as your older one.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Will do. I look forward to catching one of your afternoons.