Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

aaarrrggghhh!!!!!

ctrbabe1 is offline Registered User

aaarrrggghhh!!!!!

Last Friday, they started remodeling the flat right above us. It is soooo freaking loud that I think I'm going to go crazy. Right now they are in the drilling phase- ripping up the floors and such. These flats are all concrete, and so they have to drill, drill, drill to change anything. Thankfully it's not as loud in my bedroom as it is in the living room, but still. IT'S LOUD! the baby is sleeping through it ok, so far, but it woke me up and I can't fall back asleep. (Nevermind that I only got about 5 hours last night!) The thing is, Zoe is not quite two weeks old yet, so I can't just take her out on all day excursions. And what the heck am I supposed to do while my parents are here next week? I hate to subject them to this noise the whole time they are here, but who knows how up to going out I'll be feeling, you know? The worst part is, these remodeling jobs can take MONTHS. How am I going to deal with this? It's only been three days and I'm already going insane!!!
    All the best,
    Katie

mosmom is offline Registered User
    You might want to 'make sure' with the management office of your building that the workers don't start before a certain time (maybe 9am) and that they must stop exactly at the designated time (maybe 6pm), and no drilling at all on Sundays (at least that's the rule in my building) - if you haven't done so already. I know, there's still a long time of continuous noise during the day, but guess there's nothing else you can really do.. Inform your parents about the noise such that they're 'ready' for it when they come, or if you think that they might absolutely not be able to stand it, suggest them that to come visit you at more 'peaceful' times.. But again, surely they want to see their grandchild and you are missing your parents.
    For now, what if you got yourself a pair of good headphones and tried to sleep while listening to your favourite music or to smthg soothing?
    I don't know what else to suggest you, sorry. All the best.
    :tmi

joannek is offline Registered User
    that's the worse. my building has been doing this replace-the-facade-work, so there's been drlling since november, and the dust!! i know that they're only allowed to work until 1pm on saturdays, so can make sure of that w/ the mgmt off too.

really nothing much you can do but maybe bring your baby to a close friend's house during the day where you can rest with her?

hsmdonog is offline Registered User
    I really feel for you-drilling is hard to listen to at the best of times-unimaginable when you are just home with your new baby.

have you checked to ensure they have the proper permits from building management-it won't stop them doing the work but you may get to delay them a little while waiting for the paperwork to go through. This permit should be posted outside the door of the apartment undergoing renovation-it will also tell how long the work will go on for.

A friend of mine had a similar problem and goes to another flat elsewhere (in this case provided by the landlord as it was a condition of their taking the flat) in the AM while the drilling is at it's worst. Depending on how hard you are finding it -maybe it would be worth finding a temporary flat to move to.
    Hang in there.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    If it helps, the loud removal works of the floors and stuff with the machinery should only go on for 1 week or so, at least that was the case in the renovation works above us. Thereafter, there is still noise, but usually just hammering and stuff. However, you maybe able to work something out with management, cos in our case, we have a very responsible man in charge who knew about the huge no. of babies in the building and specifically also requested the workers not to work between 12noon and 2pm, so that at least the kids can get a couple of hours of good sleep. As with the normal working hours for workmen, it should be stipulated in the DMC of your building, if not, there should be a code of practice already exsiting which your management should follow. Good Luck!

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    That happened to us when our baby was less than a month old. My dad actually went to the workers and asked them how long the drilling was gonna last. It turned out that it was only for a few days so we tolerated. We were lucky as there were quite a number of people working at the same time so the drilling work didn't take too long. Some contractors would use only 2 people in a shift and the work would drag on.

carang is offline Registered User
    if money isn't an issue, i'd suggest trying to get a short term let in discovery bay. usually they charge $450-500/night, but you might be able to make a deal with them for say 1-3 months. i know that it means you are out of pocket, but it might just be worth it. these places come fully equipped with linens, dishes, pots & pans, usually broadband connection& cable/broadband tv.

most are 1 bed, but there are quite a few that are two and there are even a few boats that rent out that sleep 6-8...

Scroll to top