Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

am I being mean?

mintycat is offline Registered User
    My last maid really had an attitude problem too. Whenever I asked her to do something nicely, she did not look at me and just walked off to do it. She didn't even acknowlege she heard me. I mean, she went and did the job but she pulled a face and just never responded. When I gave her something (like a new box of chocolate, or some of my old stuff that I was going to give away but I always checked to see if she wanted them first), she'd say, "ok ok" and point to the counter and asked me to leave it there. She wouldn't even look me in the eye and say thank you.

As for eating, my helper eats whenever she wants. Sometimes I will notice she doesn't eat breakfast but she tells me she doesn't feel like eating it so I let it be. She is a grown woman. I skip meals sometimes too when I am not pregnant.

I also have a problem with bad smelling kitchen. I think the culprit are towels that are a little mildewed due to the humid weather in HK. If she uses a smelly towel to clean the kitchen counter tops, of course the smell will linger. So I ask her to clean the kitchen towels often and dry them in the dryer (she used to air dry them) thoroughly before using them.

joannek is offline Registered User
    well, i guess barb wong is right. i just felt because she didn't have time to eat, then i should let her eat before we leave the house. but since she's a grown woman & she should know what time we leave (my daughter has a set weekly schedule), if she didn't get up earlier to eat her breakfast, that's her problem.

but the thing is, she cannot leave my daughter by herself, so i always have to "give her time to eat" while someone else attend to my daughter....

luvourbb is offline Registered User
    joannek, you are truly not mean at all, you are a very reasonable and kind employer. You better fire your maid before she steps on your head.

My indonesian maid is not only extremely slow (it takes her exactly 1 hour to mince 4 pieces of garlic) but she is lazy (sleeps at 8pm and wakes up at 8:30am everyday), rude, and always talks back whenever I ask her to do something. I hire indo maid because I am indo myself, but it turns out to be my worst nightmare. I have given her 1-month termination notice. I can't stand her anymore.

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    I do hope everyone bitching about their maids is paying them at least the full minimum salary. When a large number of Indonesian helpers were interviewed last year (I think) it turned out that way more than half of them were being underpaid. I could get up from my desk now and locate plenty of underpaying employers in my company (who seem to see nothing wrong with it, because 'it's a lot of money for an Indonesian' - I would love to see their reaction if I used that excuse for a Chinese employee - well, money goes further in China, it's ok to pay Chinese people less...). Honestly now, everyone? And that includes paying for accommodation, the govt levy, all statutory holidays... (And, honestly, telling your maid to eat NOW - if you trust her to look after your child then you should really be able to trust her to know when she's hungry herself.)

geiboyi, i think you missed the point here. as i've explained, she needs to watch the kids, so i "have to give her time to eat". there's no mention here about paying our helper. i thought it's illegal to underpay one's helper. and i sure don't want to spend time in jail. in fact, i tend to overpay them. when they do a good job, they have bonus at the end of a month/year. and not to count those endless redpackets of 100s of dollars they get when we have visitors over for dinner, someone's birthday, her birthday, her children's birthday, chinese new year.......baby's 1st month birthday, & the list goes on.....

well, u know what, one day, the helper let my daughter drank 3 litres of water, so i don't know whether to trust her to be hungry....

sky123 is offline Registered User
    I do pay my maid the minimum wage plus gratuities etc. But I believe that overseas maids do not have a high salary because if they did, low-income people in Hong Kong could start applying for their jobs and overseas maids would not be necessary. You hear about local people in Hong Kong paid HK$4000-HK$6000 and they have to pay for their own accommodation/food etc.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User
    3 litres of water
    Are you sure your daughter drank that much?!?!?!? That's a lot of water to drink and can be very dangerous!

somebodyfamous, i know it's scary. i asked her, "why did you give her so much water?" (one time we gave her water in the bottle, and she loved it & think it was fun, so i told the helper, it's ok to give her water in the bottle....and then one day this episode of 3 litres) helper answered, "because she was crying!" in her reguar high pitched arguing voice.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Scroll to top