Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hiring 2 maids, dilemma about days off

joannek is offline Registered User
    it sounds like besides being good to your child, she's not any good. she doesn't cook nor does she cleans well. she's very absendminded & not efficient. it sounds to me that she feels that you can't live without her so she's counting on you compromising to her. i'm only afraid that she's gonna blackmail you with sth else when she's got her way this time.

i would secretly go about & try to find someone to replace her who is willing to take alternate days off and work with someone.

yes, it also sounds like she's gonna bully the new helper to do EVERYTHING ELSE, cos she doesn't do any of those well anyway. but by then you have a newborn & you might be away from home at times. so you might want someone new & fresh, maybe from the philipinnes, who is less experience in manipulating their employers.
    (btw, if you've read my thread "am i being mean?" i so regret hiring this current helper cos she has 6 yrs experience in taiwan. i now prefer to hire someone with no overseas experience)

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    oh good, other people agree with me that you should sack her.

She's definitely going to bully the newcomer and then you'll spend all your time looking out for the newbie. Better to start afresh, get two new helpers and set the ground rules when they start. You're about to have another baby, the last thing you need is to worry about how the household is running and to have to fix tensions that will definitely arise if you keep your current helper.

I am quite intolerant of bad helpers. They need to keep in mind who is paying who. If only they could all remember how keen they were to work for you (us) and keep that same attitude they had at the interview rather than over time become more and more arrogant. I know not all are like this but it certainly seems like a lot are. I agree with Joannek that your helper seems to think you can't live without her. Sure, most of us really need our helpers but they are replaceable.

That said being tough is easier said than done. I get my husband to play the meanie and it works a treat since I'm the one who has to get along with her all day long.

mintycat is offline Registered User
    My husband just talked to her. She said she will NOT budge, no compromise and no flexibility. My She kept saying "I don't have a lot demands, only that I get all Sundays off." So my husband said at the end of the day, she can only get 2 Sundays off and that is that. He told her to go think about it and tell us what she wants.

After the long talk, she is still so uncompromising. I think we probably won't end up renewing her contract. Even if she stays she will take it out on the new maid. But if I let her work til June 8 when her contract ends, I am afraid I will have to put up with her attitude and she will be even less diligent in her work. The new maid comes middle of May. When I am in the hospital for the birth at the end of May (c-section), someone will have to take my daughter to the playgroup.

Sigh, what to do now? The preggo hormones are making me much more stressed than I should be.

do u have your mom or your mil take your child to the playgroup? or your daughter don't go to playgroup?

mintycat is offline Registered User
    My daughter goes to playgroups, my mom is here from Canada now but she she leaves in early July. As for my MIL, she is in her mid-70s, so she doesn't leave home much.

I am going to start looking for another maid.

witty_han is offline Registered User
    Hi, everyone! hi mintycat! please check this link from www.geoexpat.com classifieds section, http://www.geoexpat.com/classifieds/...ate/1175584848 I am desperately looking for a job in HK because i have to support my family back here in Philippines. If you're interested i'm very willing to be interviewed via phone. I am very industrious, trustworthy and multi task person. I can also give you the mobile# of my previous employer for further information about me. thanks so much!

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Mintycat get looking right now. You poor thing. When you're so close to having a baby the last thing you need is this kind of stress. I just can't believe how stubborn she is. I'm sure she will be quite surprised to find herself fired or without her contract renewed.

I say as soon as you find someone just pay out the rest of the contract (it's only a month or two) and get rid off her. You don't want her to taint the new helper in any way. She will gossip but worse, she will lead by example so that the new helper coming in will think it's ok to take so long to do anything, to not be able to perform tasks you want etc.

We arrived in Hong Kong only 2 months ago and I needed a helper urgently because of being pregnant (i'm due beg June) and having a 12 month old (at the time). I just couldn't wait that 6 week or so period that it often takes when you bring in a new helper so I checked out the ads that helpers leave in shops etc and found a great one in Taste in Stanley. A lot of people do it this way. Mine has a bit of a smelling issue (!) ha, ha but she can clean, cook and my son adores her. She was able to start within a couple of weeks of us interviewing her because she happened to be leaving her employer so her sister (from the Phillipines) could take her spot with her current employer. Immigration accepted a letter from us saying we needed her urgently and it was all done really quickly. We were very lucky because she had actually already resigned by the time we met her so she only had a week or so left to find a job or get booted out! In your case you might find someone who just wants to leave the current employer enabling you to get them asap.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast