Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hiring 2 maids, dilemma about days off

kellyst is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    yes agree. when you start having helpers who has attitude like that, better get rid of her with a 'same day' treatment (pay enough compensation by law and ask them to leave right way). it's rough, but helpers are so close to home and your loved ones that you don't know what they would do with stuff in your home. you can't watch their every move.

understand you're hiring direct, so yes, should have the ground rules cleared up first.

ELT is offline Registered User
    All my friends warned me against being too accommodating to DH because it is not uncommon that they would ask for more when you give them an inch. Did you explain the consequence (that you would have to let her go) if she wouldn't cooperate on that one request? Perhaps your DH is testing your limit?

mosmom is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong SAR
    Is this woman aware of the fact that she has been doing multiple things wrong during her employment? You have been polite enough not to correct her too much in her daily work as you were happy with the way she has been taking care of your child. Fair enough. But she is being soo stubborn now, and not cooperating a bit.
    Anyway, when is her contract expiring? Hope it's soon, so you can let her go on the day that it expires. I don't have a maid, but I heard that you may only fire a maid (officially) three times as an employer, so you would save yourself the 'points' if you just let her go on her last day anyways.. just a thought.
    with your future helpers!

mintycat is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all your responses. Her contract expires June 8. She knows she has done many wrong things in the past I do tell her about them but as politely as I possibly can. When we first talked about renewing her contract a month ago (before I found this helper), she told me she wondered if I will renew her contract because she knows she has done many wrong things before. This is before we found this new helper who also wants to take Sundays off. I haven't signed anything, but can I renege on my "promise" to renew her contract?

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Of course. I think you really need to remember who is boss. You don't owe this woman anything especially as she is not good at her job.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    You're so lucky to be able to hore two helpers............

Bizeemama is offline Registered User
    New Territories

Just another thought! Just before I hired my second helper I thought about bringing my first helpers husband over. (My helper was the one that declined the offer!!) But I have friends who employ a married couple and they work really well together. Of course they know from the begining that the days off will not be the same, but in all the cases I know of with my friends it works out well (they even take separate holidays) It isn't a problem because they are with each other and living together.
    It is an added bonus if the husband can drive.
    Just something to think about..........

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    It sounds like you are not happy with your helper and will not renew her contract, so problem solved.

But have you thought about giving both of them the day off? It might be nice for your family to spend time together just as a family. If necessary, the helper could make you something for Sunday dinner on Saturday, so you just need to reheat it. Or go out for meals? Washing, cleaning, etc can wait until Monday. All you and your husband have to do is play with your children and pick up a few toys.

We only have one helper, but she has Sat and Sun off. Am I missing something?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast