Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Helper's day off

xox
    xox is offline Registered User

Helper's day off

I need my helper to work on a Sunday in a few week's time. We've never had to do this before, but we need to attend to some business overseas over the weekend and need her to look after our baby. I've kindly asked her and she said it was OK. I told her that she can substitute that Sunday for another day when we return, however, she said that she would prefer to be paid extra instead. How much should we pay her for working on that Sunday?

sky123 is offline Registered User
    I guess that anything over the pro rata rate would be OK. But since it is a favour, you should probably pay a bit more especially if she is looking after the baby alone.

MrsP is offline Registered User
    Once or twice I have found myself in a similar situation. I usually pay mine $300 if she has to work on a Sunday (although I would be interested to hear if people think this is right). I do ask her if she would prefer to take another day in lieu but she always prefers the $.

Ratio3533 is offline Registered User
    It is illegal to pay her extra for the Sunday that she works. Check your employment contract. You have to offer her another date within 60 days to take as a holiday. If you do decide to pay her, although it is very unlikely that you will be caught, just be careful that she doesn't go and blab to her friends that she got paid for that day. If it gets back to someone you can get in deep trouble.

sky123 is offline Registered User
    It is OK to pay domestic helpers for their rest days if they agree voluntarily to work. But you cannot pay her in lieu of Statutory holidays. I checked once with the Labour Department.