Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No Facilities but lots of space?

snagito is offline Registered User

No Facilities but lots of space?

Hi All
    Bit of a dilemma. House hunt narrowed down to two properties. One in mid-levels (end of Conduit Road) an old building now renovated inside the flat so great appliances etc and TONS of space for 16 mo old to run around in (also extra bedroom so that grandparents can come stay etc etc). But no communal facilities (playroom etc). Other would be Pokfulam, a complex with smaller rooms and smaller flat in general but a small indoor playroom and swimming pool.. Cost and distance from husband's workplace exactly the same (I work from a home office so not an issue for me).

I can see the pros of having the playroom as the helper could then take baby down there every day and easy interaction with other kids etc. etc. Sounds easy enough. But the older building is really lovely in terms of space inside and I suppose one could arrange maybe two playdates a week - and also the little one could do different things like go to HKU or down to the market etc. Or would it just be better for baby/helper to keep going down to the playroom, or would they both get bored?

This is our first baby so I really have no clue about how they develop & what kind of things they might enjoy when they are around 2 years old - very grateful if those of you with some experience could share with me your thoughts on which option you would go for!

Thanks so much!

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    I think it depends on what your daily routine is. We find that we never use our facilities as we are members of a club and tend to use the pool, playroom etc. there rather than where we live (better facilities and the children have various activities booked there). If we were to move, facilities would be a much lower priority for us. If we had not joined a club, in-house facilities would be much more important to us though.

snagito is offline Registered User
    Thank you so much - I never thought about a club. Are they very difficult to join? What are the best ones on HK island in terms of kids' facilities? I would be grateful to know more about it.

madaboutCows is offline Registered User
    I agree with Mum of 2 we also very rarely use out facilities as now our children are older we tend to have lots of playdates elsewhere etc.

If it were me I'd go for the one that feels right and from your posts it seems you've really fallen in love with the Conduit Road apartment.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    I live in a large, old walk-up with no facilities and do not belong to any club (yet).

Personally, I enjoy the space at home - my daughter has her own, large room with all her toys and I get to keep my study!

We live near the Toy Library (indoor playroom) which we use at least once a week, the playgrounds locally as well as Victoria Park (outdoor). We just started going to the beach as well. Admittedly, I do tag along with friends to clubs and use their building facilities sometimes.

I have thought of joining a club myself often. I like the FC's facilities for kids, but v.expensive. LRC is probably the best location for you - not too pricey and a new wing just opened.

At the end of the day, it all depends on your preference. If you don't mind traipsing around to take your LO to do various activities, there's plenty to do. I would think that going to the same playroom day in, day out, would lose it's appeal v.quickly.

Zen
    Zen is offline Registered User
    hi kashismum - congratulations on the arrival of your son.

where is the toy library? sounds like fun. may be i'll take zenlet there.

Zen
    Zen is offline Registered User
    in response to the original poster:
    i'd always give the home priority as you'll be using that way more than the facilities, no matter what your lifestyle is like.

rani is offline Administrator
    Sounds like you have fallen for the flat. There is lots to do in Mid-Levels. You've got the YWCA on Macdonnell Rd (loads of classes), Botancial Gardens and playground at the end of Conduit Rd. You can also organize a couple of playdates with other GeoBaby moms. There are playgroups with kids/helpers.

Some of the social clubs have long waiting lists, but you can rent a membership or buy a 2nd hand one. Here are a few companies that specialize in this

http://www.evergolf.com.hk/home.php

http://www.orientprestige.com

http://www.elitemembership.com.hk/fees/fees.html
    Last edited by rani; 04-18-2007 at 11:04 AM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast