Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

spinach and carrots

miaka is offline Registered User

spinach and carrots

i've been making my own baby food for my LO and i've read that you shouldn't feed babies spinach or carrots bc of the nitrates. i've looked for info and mostly the info applies for 3 months or younger. my LO is almost 7 months, is it ok to feed her these? i got some frozen spinach cubes ... can i feed them to her or should i throw it out?

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    I would say carrots are fine (I'm sure that the experts say carrots are one of the 1st things to introduce as they are quite sweet for a veggie and therefore baby may take to them easier), and i'm also sure that I fed my LO spinach too. If you're concerned though, just delay for a little while. If the spinach is frozen it will keep in the freezer or you could eat it yourself!

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    my pd suggested us to feed our 7 month old different colored veges including carrots. Didn't mention spinach but certainly didn't warn us against it. If you are worried, why not call your pd just to confirm?

mintycat is offline Registered User
    Carrots was one of the first foods we gave to our LO when she started solids at around 7-8 months. We also gave her spinach shortly after that. We bought fresh and then just pureed them. If you are concerned, it's best to check with your pediatrician.

Yan
    Yan is offline Registered User
    Carrot is very good food to start with, especially good texture then easy to handle.
    But be just careful that don't give your baby too much. Because I had experience that give too much carrot, sweet potato, and pumpkin.Then my pd said baby's skin turn to very yellow, and I had to stop feed her these root veggie for couple months.

babi77 is offline Registered User
    I feed my baby spinach when he's about 7 to 8 months occasionally and he is fine.

cinnamon is offline Registered User
    I also fed my baby spinach.
    If you are worried just feed small amount occasionally
    You know the saying, everything in moderation!

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

Arrow

Carrots absorb everything from the soil they are grown in. all good and all bad.

It's best to buy organic carrot baby food as even if you buy organic carrots yourself - the farms can have high level of nitrates which baby food manufacturers test but we cant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast