Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maternity bras

SoLong is offline Registered User

Maternity bras

Is there a difference between maternity bras and nursing bras? I feel there maybe. But I went to this maternity store looking for bras and the lady ended up showing me nursing bras.
    :cheerlead Almost time!!!!!!

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User
    There are maternity bras that can double as nursing bras. Could the lady be showing you one of those?

cha-cha is offline Registered User
    when i was pregnant, i went to wacaol as they had some supportive but non-wired bras. their range of sizes is quite good (i'm an odd size) and were really comfortable towards the late stages of pregnancy.

when i was nursing, i bought the ones with pull down flaps from mothercare. they were non-wired too but definetely not as supportive as my wacoal ones.

Yes the lady was possibly showing me maternity bras that can used while nursing as well. I just wanted to confirm if there is a difference and what it is. Guess I'll go to different stores and educate myself.

val23 is offline Registered User

Hi

Hi SoLong,

Just bought maternity bras yesterday from Marks and Spencer. Maternity bras don't have flaps that can be opened unlike nursing bras. I chose them due to their looks and the fact that it is less cumbersome. I'll probably switch to nursing bras after I give birth.
    Aside from Marks and Spencer, Mothercare also has both types. As this is my second pregnancy, I've learnt to buy 2 or 3 bras as I need them as our breasts really do get enlarged further in the pregnancy.

joannek is offline Registered User
    maternity bras are nursing bras without the flap. the difference between these & regular bras are usually the cup size & non-wired, cos the wires might press on the milk ducts and block the ducts. so it is recommended that you wear non-wired bras (hence they are built differently to support heavy breasts, usually with big bands under the breasts for support) while pregnant & nursing. of course, nursing bras have flaps to facilitate bringing out of the breasts. since you are only pregnant for 9-10mths (most women are, at least) , it will be more economical to buy once with the flaps, so you can continue using them after you give birth. although your sizes will change after you give birth (your breasts will become fuller, hence larger cup-size). so buy ones that have different nursing flap hooks so that the cup size on that bra can be changed & also more hooks at the back so even band size can change.

happy shopping!

JennyB is offline Registered User
    I also had the idea that I would buy nursing bras to use in pregnancy as well, but unfortunately the sizing was too different for me.

You might feel in pregnancy that your breasts are HUGE but believe me, they will get even bigger once you start breastfeeding!

The biggest your breasts will get will be in the first month of breastfeeding. They gradually start to get smaller as your breasts get more efficient at producing the right amount of milk. But your band size (underbust measurement) will get rapidly smaller after you give birth, so that when your breasts are the same size as when you were pregnant, your ribcage will be much slimmer.

The only way to use bras for both pregnancy and nursing is if when pregnant you can't fasten them up at the back, but need to use an insert panel (bra extender that you can buy in many department stores).

However, you will need a couple of nursing bras in a bigger cup size for the early weeks when your breasts will be huge and tender - if your bra is too tight during that stage, you won't want to wear it at all.

Oh, and you don't strictly NEED to get the nursing bras with the special flaps. You can always unhook the back of the bra and then lift up the front. I did that in the latter stages of breastfeeding when I was only breastfeeding at home at naptime or bedtime, my breasts were smaller and I didn't want to buy new nursing bras in a smaller size; I just bought non-wired bras that I could use after I stopped breastfeeding as well.

Now I didn't know that underwires were a no no during and after pregnancy. Glad that you ladies wrote it down for me. I haven't been wearing underwired bras but they aren't exactly maternity bras also. Will buy them soon.

Val23, I went to M&S looking for maternity bras but they refused they carried any at all (this was in Cityplaza). Which one did you go to?

Where is Mothercare located friends?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast