Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blinds or curtains?

snagito is offline Registered User

Blinds or curtains?

Hi everyone,

Looking for some good blinds (or curtains if necessary) for baby's room to block out the light in the early mornings. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

joannek is offline Registered User
    defintely curtains with blackout backing. blinds don't block out all the light, only some. esp in the peak of summer, in hk the sun rises at 5.15am & sets at 7.15pm!

Thanks for the quick reply. I went down to IKEA today and had a look at some blinds that have blackout on them - called Tupplar or something - they would be installed on the ceiling and come right down - has anyone used these?
    If getting curtains, where is the best place to get them (with blackout backing).
    5:15 am??!?! Very very useful to know as our little man is anyway quite prone to being an early morning waker so must sort out ASAP!
    Thank you!!

Sumei is offline Registered User

Definitely curtains

I have a combination of roman blinds and curtains in our apt and have found the black out curtains and curtain combination for our child's room so much more appropriate given our long summer days (yes it's known to be very light at 6am in the morning!!)....esp if you are moving to a rented place and it's old styled, curtains keep the rays out better (there is this "gap" where blinds are concerned) and becos older apts have older windows that are "drafty", curtains help keep the room warmer in those winter months.......you may have heard HK apts are notorious for being freezer boxes in winter!

Matty is offline Registered User
    There are a bunch of furnishing stores on Queens Rd East, where you can have curtains or blinds made to size and lined with blackout.
    Cost will vary from cheap to expensive depending on quality of fabric chosen. A few have some great kids designs.

Many of the stores stock exactly the same fabrics, so you can shop around and haggle the prices down.

Thanks so much, will definitely go for the curtains. Does anyone know how if the Queens Road East shops would be open today (May1 public holiday). Any particular recommendations? Also do they sort out the curtain rails etc or is that done elsewhere? Would they come with us to the flat and then measure up? Sorry these are probably really silly questions. Anyway appreciate the input if anyone has a moment! Thank you.

DRW
    DRW is offline Registered User
    from my experiences, what I did was measure the width and the height of the window (from one side to the other). And bring the measures to the curtain shop; for me I bring my own material for the curtain and I buy the black out material from the shop. And you can decide single rail or double rail (there's many kind of rails that you can choose) for hanging the curtain and black out. Usually I've asked my hubby do a bit drilling for the rail holes

Matty is offline Registered User
    New Bedford Interiors are quite good.
    It's pretty easy to do the measuring yourself, but I'm sure they would come and do it for you if needed, though they would charge for it I'm sure.
    They can organise the rails and installation, though as it was just a matter of drilling a couple of holes, my husband did it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast