Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hospital Booking

woodstock07 is offline Registered User

Hi, first-time mother and foreigner in HK here :-)

My OB is Dr Christine Choi and she confirmed my pregnancy at 6.5 week, EDD 8 Aug 09.

She said that her nurses will start to call the hospitals and get a booking for me. So far, she told me that Sanotorium and Canossa are fully booked(unbelievable!) and she's waiting for an answer from Adventist and will start calling others. Dr Choi does not deliver at Matilda.

Is it a standard practice that the OB will help you with the hospital booking or should I also try to call the hospitals myself?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Your ObGyn should make the booking for you. My booking was made for me when I was 8 weeks pregnant - yes, 7 months in advance! Couldn't believe it myself since I'm a first time mom. Anyhow, there was no confirmation note or anything, but being paranoid about the hospital situation here, I called the nurse myself to check the next day whether or not a room was booked for me. I delivered at the Matilda, and one good thing about Matilda (though it is more expensive) is that as long as they reserve a room for you, they will have a room for you with the month of your expected delivery date. I was 4 days early and they had a room for me...though next to a room that was being re-painted. I know at the Adventist my friend had a baby early and she didn't get the room type she had requested for - basically she told me you get what is available. Apparently, unless you book the VIP room at the Adventist, you will be put up where there is room (my sister says - she's having her 3rd next month).

QM is a good place to deliver - the private section is comparable to Matilda in terms of price, friends of mine who've delivered there say the staff are very good.

If there is any chance that you might have complications with your pregnancy, QM is the place to be. This is just from my personal experience since my daughter had complications at birth. Matilda is a great place for the mom, but unfortunately not for the kid if something happens since they do not have the equipment (can't expect them to have it since the equipment is expensive and not so many cases need to use the equipment) to handle complicated cases. QM has everything for the kid and being a teaching hospital the staff see many many cases of complications. Don't want to scare or worry you, but just wanted to let you know in case, because I didn't know anything and went to Matilda because it's just so comfortable and beautiful for me.

Good luck with your pregnancy!

woodstock07 is offline Registered User

hi lesliefu: Thank you so much for your reply.

I've heard about the private hospitals situation in HK but I'm still shocked that even when the nurses tried to make a booking at 6.5 weeks, 2 hospitals are already fully booked.

I have heard good things about Queen Mary. Is it possible to book a room at the private section of Queen Mary? I will probably ask the nurses to try there as well. Not being able to confirm a booking is driving me nuts.

Actually I'm not really fussed about the hospital as long it's private, on HK island and the nurses speak reasonably good English (as I don't speak cantonese).

Frenchy is offline Registered User

I delivered november 07 at Canossa. I was first booked at Adventist but they never confirmed... when I asked the nurses where I was supposed to give birth, they tried to book in 3 other hospitals, and Canossa confirmed very quickly. To make sure I was booked, I went to Canossa and checked my name. I was supposed to give birth on the 1st of december, and my name was on the 21st !! hopefully I made the change... and finally I delivered on the 25th November, and I had no problem with my admission. As soon as your name is on their lists, there is no more problem.

Eve12 is offline Registered User

Hospital Booking

Hello Woodstock07,

You do not need the nurse to register you at QM. Seeing that its a public hospital - you will just need to get register yourself with the public system.

I have done loads of research on this..I'm also fairly new to HK and was shocked about the way, way in advance booking needed. Here's a NYT article to shed some light on this issue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/21/wo...pagewanted=all

PM me if you have any questions.

Eve

jaz1311 is offline Registered User

Hi Woodstock

Yes you can reserve a room at QM as a priavte patient. I did it in Sep this year but in the end I still deliver at the Matilda.

You can PM me is you like to have more info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12