Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hospital Booking

mmec is offline Registered User

Hospital Booking

I am very confused about the booking system with private hospitals in Hong Kong. During my first visit to my gynecologist, the nurses assured me that a place had been reserved for me at my preferred hospital.

After a few months (3 to be exact), I thought it would be a good idea to confirm the booking, but only to be told by the nurses that my application was rejected by the hospital because they were full for the month that I am expected to delivery my baby!!!

When I asked WHEN my application was rejected, they said they received a call from the hospital but did not record the date of event.

Argh!!!

Not only did they not call me to tell me this change of status, but their only advise was for me to consider other hospitals. Has anyone had similar experiences? Are confirmations slips or notices issued for reservations that are confirmed by hospitals? I am worried now because even though they tell me that I have a reservation at another hospital, how may I be assured that the same situation does not happen again?

Thank you in advance for any advise from experienced mothers...

KatBoo is offline Registered User

I'm on a waitlist for 2 hospitals for June!!! My doc says that she expects it all to be fine 'on the day', but it still leaves me feeling unnerved! I also spoke to one of the midwives from Annerley Midwives about my concern and she brushed it off saying "don't worry, it'll be fine".....so with that in mind I'm trying not to worry!!

I wasn't even told to make a booking until I was 6-months in, and then all the hospitals were already full!

Worst case scenario is delivery at the Queen Mary, which is a brilliant public hospital by all accounts (although I'd still like to be private if possible).

mintycat is offline Registered User

My OB submitted my papers back in March (I am due at the end of May) and he said back then, it was to let the hospital know to expect this mother around the time of her due date. Since I am having a c-section, we got a time slot in the Operating Theatre, but they cannot confirm a private room. I actually submitted a different date for the c-section but was told it was full on that day, so I had to pick another day.

starburst is offline Registered User

Question

Yeah...I am a bit confused how the booking system works. I'm due end of May - a scheduled C-section. I am pretty sure my doctor had booked me in months ago - and I even had told him the specific date I wanted. Anyway, when I was at my ob appointment last week, he asked the nurse whether I was booked, and she said no, and quickly rang the hospital. Unfortunately I couldn't get my preferred date as there were already 3 C-sections booked for that day, so I got the day after. I was a bit disappointed as the date was a bit sentimental to me. But from reading posts here, appreciative I could get a booking with my preferred hospital. I was thinking maybe you have to book the hospital months in advance, but can't specify the exact date until closer??

Jojo is offline Registered User

I think it's harder for scheduled c-sections as each hospital only allows a certain number per day and many people who schedule c-sections are all consulting the same calender for auspicious days!

I am due 2nd week of May and had no problem securing a booking (with deposit of course) back in February as I am trying for a natural delivery. I think the understanding is that there will be a bed for me when I finally pop, although depending on the room situation at the time, it may or may not be the type of room that I have requested. At the Canossa and other Hong Kong Island private hospitals, I gather that it is more dificult to secure a booking for a room with multiple beds than a private room and even more so if you are trying to book a c-section on a 'good' date.

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

Jojo,
    Regarding secure the room type. Does it means that you could book private room in advance at Canossa ?

Thanks

Bear Lau:

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

Scheduled C-sections on public holidays

I have a question I hope experienced moms can tell me - is it true that on Sundays many hospitals don't do schedueld c-sections? I wanted to have mine on a Sunday ( in Sept) but was turned away because it was a Sunday -but if it was an emergency c-section then it would be OK. I don't quite understand the logic here - is this everybody's experience as well ?

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

My friend had a scheduled c-section on Sunday at Canossa hospital about 2.5 years ago but she had to pay extra fee.

Bear Lau:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast