Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Hiring a DH who has been terminated by previous employer

cyberyoda is offline Registered User

Hiring a DH who has been terminated by previous employer

Dear all,

This is the 1st time I hire a Phillipinos DH so I have several questions. I would like to hire a DH who just terminated by her employer after working 2 years 4 months for her. As her visa is expiring on 10th May, I need to sign a contract with her before this date. Her new contract just started for 4 months. But based on the new law, she has to return to Phillippines and come back again. It will take 4-6 weeks to process. Can I apply for delay for her return to Philippines for 1 year?? So it means that how long it will take her to start work for me if she does not have to go back to Philippines?? Any questions or matter I should note before signing a contract with her?? Should I ask her to do the medical check up before signing the contract? Or I can just add a clause in the contract saying this is subject to ok on medical check?? Any idea is there any medical check up package for Phillippinos and how much it will cause??

After I sign her, does it mean she cannot sign other contract and change her mind?? Should I pay the air ticket for the DH to come to HK after the immigration approved the application?? Or I just buy her a ticket or she buy it from Philippines?? Any recommendation on where to buy the basic medical insurance for the maid??

Thanks very much for any advice.

joannek is offline Registered User

i think your first question should be why was she terminated & you probably have to talk to her previous employer & try to get the employer to tell you the truth. frankly, i don't believe much about what the helper say cos they're not gonna tell you if she dishonest.

cyberyoda is offline Registered User

I already talked to ALL her previous employers and they all give good reference. She only had 2 employers before, 1st one worked for 10 years and 2nd worked for 2 years 4 months. Her previous employer gave me quite frank and objective comments and that's why I belived them. I am also very cautious about that. Now, I just need to know how to process the details. Can I ask her to start early even BEFORE immidgration approved the visa and documents?? I guess this may be illegal but how much is the risk?? In view of my present situation, I need a helper urgent....thanks

joannek is offline Registered User

as far as i know, she may not work until her new visa has come thru. if she works with you before that, it's illegal & no one knows whether it'll get you into trouble. it takes 2 weeks after her previous contract ends for the visa to come thru & if she agrees, she doesn't need to go home. better to get her to sign sth to prove that she agrees in case anything happens. the safest thing is for you to go to hk imm dept & ask these detailed questions tho. i know they're very helpful about these things.

KatBoo is offline Registered User

we hired a DH who's previous employer had terminated her contract. I spoke to the employer before I'd actually interviewed the DH and their reasons for termination were financial. They didn't really wangt to lose her and were actually helping to find her a new employer.

We used an agency to deal with all the immigration/contract/visa issues and I cannot recommend them highly enough (Jessie James)....their fee was nominal because there was no need for us to search for a DH, it was just paperwork.

The visa was processed within 2 weeks!! which is apparently amazingly quick....the agency cited the fact that we had written a strong letter of support as did the previous employer as the reason.

Apparently there are only a few reasons that can be given for termination by the previous employer which allows them to stay in HK rather than go home....financial difficulty/employer having to leave the country are 2 I know of.