Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: When did your baby 'sleep through' the night?

Voters
201. This poll is closed
  • 1-4 weeks (1 month)

15 7.46%
  • 5-8 weeks (2 months)

38 18.91%
  • 8-11 weeks (3 months)

52 25.87%
  • 12-15 weeks (4 months)

19 9.45%
  • 15-18 weeks (5 months)

16 7.96%
  • 19-22 weeks (6 months)

5 2.49%
  • Once I introduced food

7 3.48%
  • Still wakes

49 24.38%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

When did your baby 'sleep through' the night?

Bumblebzz is offline Registered User

beckboo44

Your most welcome.

I must say though, when my LO dropped that 10pm feed I was kinda sad...sounds strange I know, but I missed holding him in my arms for one last quiet cuddle of the night.

In regards to the "other topic", we'll all raise our kids differently & how we each see fit. If someone has issue with it, of course thats THEIR problem!

"Books have their place but I also think that intuition and knowledge of your baby is so much more important! "

I agree!

Have a Happy Mothers Day everyone! :)

KJP
    KJP is offline Registered User

Does anyone have any tips on how to cut out night feeds? I am exclusively breast feeding and my 6 and half month old is still waking 3 times a night. We have tried settling her in every other possible way and nothing works apart from breastfeeding. I am almost sure she does not need this milk as she is on solids now and I think the night feeds are mostly for comfort. I am reducing the feeds so that sometimes she is only on for about a minute, then I put her in her cot awake and she is happy to fall asleep by herself. But I would really like a bit more sleep after 6 months now!! Any suggestions welcome!

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

KJP- have sent you pm!

kashismum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by KJP View Post
    Does anyone have any tips on how to cut out night feeds?
    Been there! I was still at that stage when my daughter was 10 months so I did a bit of controlled crying, combined with moving her into her own room. It took a couple of nights.

I'd been thinking about it for a while but kept telling myself that, whilst she didn't need the feed nutritionally, she may have needed it emotionally. But, by 10 months, I'd had enough. And, by then, I had an easier time letting her cry for more than 5 mins at a time.

All the 'other' methods didn't work for me - offering water, just trying to soothe to sleep (patting, etc).

My son has only been waking for one feed since about 4 weeks so I consider this a blessing!

HTH

talk2amy is offline Registered User

I have twins aged just under 4 months. They have only just started sleeping through from 9pm (ish) to about 5.30am. I'm not following Gina Ford but I am adopting a sort of routine otherwise my life would be hell!

KatBoo is offline Registered User

talk2amy - just interested to know whether both your babies slept through at roughly the same time?

I have 8 week old twins am thinking about the logistics of sleepung through & how it's going to happen. At the moment they feed at 10pm, 2 am and then at 5.30 - 6am. One of them is waking for the 2pm and the other isn't, so we wake the second one to feed also. I think the second one is closer to sleeping through than the first (who is a much hungrier, bigger baby).

Did you wake yours to feed or demand feed? if one had a feed, did you wake the second?

my son (who's now 2) slept through at 12 weeks, so I'm hoping the girls will be the same!

On the routines thing.....I'm a fan, but appreciate that everyone is different (mums and bubs), and we all do things the best way we can. For me (with twins and a toddler) that means routine!! The best thing I learnt from the books, is understanding babies & children....from people who have worked with lots (ie, different crys, body language, sleep cycles etc)! I prefer Tracey Hogg to Gina Ford as she's less rigid (she's more 'watch the baby not the clock'). You speak to any nanny, and they are all in favour of routines.

Thanks for any advice on the twins thing!
    K

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

Dr Ferber's book "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems"

Just wanted to let you all know that I purchased Dr Ferber's book "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" which details the progressive approach to sleep training! I am finding it VERY useful and after two nights DD is doing REALLY well.

I gave her a feed just before I went to sleep last night at 10pm and was up for just 10 minutes (although it took me 45 minutes to get back to sleep!) with her at 1.45am.

Take a look if you want to learn more about sleeping and how to get the most out of it :)

Lolipop is offline Registered User

I know that some people dont like books because they dont believe in routine etc, but I really believe it is good for your child to have routine. Sleep is so important for children and if you can spend time training your child to sleep soundly at night, you are doing him/her a huge favour in those early years ; he/she is more able to take in the oodles of information and has time to process it whilst sleeping etc etc

I certainly did not agree with the Gina Ford approach - far too regimental and did not take the baby into consideration at all ... it seemed all 'me me me' - baby has to make all of the compromises! We used the Baby Whisperer as a guid line for finding out our daughters own sleep patern and learning how to manipulate it to fit into normal life. I remember taking a lot of time observing my daughter and working out what she needed before training her.

This way she did sleep 7pm - 6/7am from 6 weeks plus, and she took regular naps in her bed at same time every day.

When your children sleep well, it also gives you and your partner/husband/wife quality time together every single night - and of course allows you to have the right amount of sleep so that the time you spend with your baby is of the highest quality too!

As you can tell I am a big fan of sleep training LoL

However I do understand that there are some babies that just do not sleep well - as I may well find out in january when baby number 2 is born LoL

xxxx

Last edited by Lolipop; 08-01-2007 at 01:41 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast