Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

C-section at Hong Kong Adventist

teresahui is offline Registered User

I am going to have c-section at Hong Kong Adventist. Can anyone share with me your experience? What do I need to bring there? Can I do breastfeeding after c-section? I am very nervous.

mintycat is offline Registered User
    I had a c-section at the Adventist 2 years ago. I booked a spinal epidural and was awake during the operation. My husband was in the OT with me and he was able to take pictures and video of the birth. I was able to cuddle with my DD right after birth before they took her up to the nursery to clean up and get a shot. I think after about an hour, they brought her back to my room and I breastfed her.

I had a private room so the baby was in our room a lot in the first 2 days. I could also have as many visitors as I wanted in my room any time of the day. On the third day, we were told she had jaundice so she spent most of the time under phototherapy lights but whenever she was hungry, they wheeled her to me to be BF. I could also go into the nursery whenever I wanted to see her. All the nurses were very respectful of my wishes to BF and never mentioned water or formula even though my first few days of breastfeeding were not too successful.

All in all, my experience at the Adventist was very pleasant. The midwives and nurses were all very helpful and caring. I packed some basic toiletries, change of clothes, breastpads, nursing bras and pajamas but I mostly wore the hospital gowns provided in the end, with my own robe over them.

The only thing is the food is not too good but that's really secondary. They have many vegetarian options though. I think for breakfast, I had oatmeal everyday but for lunch and dinner, my mother in law ended up bringing food to me.

josoo is offline Registered User

I had a planned c-section at The Adventist 1.5 years ago. I was extremely nervous in the beginning because I didn't know what to prepare for. I hate and can't stand pain, not even a paper cut, but the entire experience wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

I got a spinal tab and my hubby was with me in the Operation Room as well. I opted for my husband to be with my daughter, instead of just the nurses when she was brought upstairs for a wash and shots. I got stitched up whilst he was accompanying her, you are too drugged up to know what is REALLY going on afterwards except you feel kind of proud that you survived, because I didn't want her to be alone.

I got to see her right after she came out and then got rolled into my room for a rest. You're so exhausted afterwards, esp. because of the drugs, that you just want a good sleep. I didn't breastfeed her until I woke up a few hours later. I just zonked out after seeing her in my room for an hour.

I would bring a dressing gown, a pair of cosy slippers (as the hospital gown is just pathetically ugly), ginger water (if you decide not to shower for the first two days or so - I didn't last, I had a shower the next day as I felt so gross), your maternity clothes that are comfy and have no tight elastic and the my breastfriend cushion.

You can breast feed afterwards, but it depends on your tolerance levels. I expected the worst and ended up feeling much better about the entire operation, it's really not too painful as you have drugs, but do be proactive about getting out of bed the next day. Your body heals when you are mentally stronger. I forced myself out of bed the next day and wanted to be standing by the time my husband visited. He was MEGA surprised by my strength!

YOU CAN DO IT. Don't be nervous, try to be positive, because the staff at the hospital are great. All your friends/relatives will visit and adore your beautiful baby.

PM me if you have other questions...good luck!

kashismum is offline Registered User
    I had an elective C-section at the Adventist in Nov 05.

My experience was not dissimilar to the previous two posts. All I will add is this:
    - I loved the food - lots of choice and lots of food! Your hubby and other visitors can order food too and eat with you.
    - I was in a shared room and not allowed to keep the baby with me at night. The nurses would bring her to me for feeds at night.
    - I suggest you discuss the specific details with your OB/GYN as they are the ones calling the shots and may differ in their procedures. For example, if you plan to breastfeed, I suggest you ask to do so as soon as possible after delivery. It took me about 45 mins to get stiched up and back on the ward to nurse my baby for the first time. All was ok, but the longer you leave it, the more difficult it may be.
    - I was disappointed with the breastfeeding support. It probably depends on the nurses on duty. When I had sore nipples, I was given nipple guards which only temporarily helped to alleviate the symptoms rather than the cause of the pain. And I was encouraged many times to get rest and allow my baby sugar water. Luckily, I had attended LLL meetings during pregnancy and was fairly clued up so I refused.

That's my two cents! Good luck.

Nula is offline Registered User
    I had one there 3 months ago. Would agree with the above posts. The only problem I had was with regards to breastfeeding during the first 24 hours as my baby had a blood sugar problem when it was first born they wouldn't let me breastfeed her. I asked for the pump to express and to try that option first but the nurse refused to bring me the pump to my room. I finally got the pump 24 hours later the nurses allowed me to have the pump in my room when I needed it but only after I got very emotional and threatened to call my obs etc. Make sure you get one of the senior nurses to help you with latching etc.

I forgot to add that although I had plenty of support and encouragement for breastfeeding from the nurses at the Adventist, each of them gave me different advise. Perhaps I should've done more research or attended breastfeeding classes prior to giving birth, but I had no idea how long to feed and how frequent etc. One nurse told me 40 mins on each side, another one from the next shift told me maximum 10 mins on each side. It got very confusing and my nipples became very sore and cracked. The thing I would've done differently is to just have an LC visit me ASAP and just listen to her. This time for my May birth, I have booked Mrs. Chee to come and visit me at the hospital.

teresahui is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for your advice and sharing. I feel much relieved. I visited the hospital yesterday. Nurses there are very nice.

Mintycat - you mentioned about having an LC visiting you. What is a LC? Where I can book?

Thanks.

Teresa

An LC is a lactation consultant. I will send you her contacts via PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast