Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Toddler recipe exchange

cinnamon is offline Registered User

Toddler recipe exchange

Hello!
    I don't know if there is already a recipe thread.
    Is anyone interested in exchanging recipes for toddlers?
    We're past the mushy food stage and not quite at the adult food stage.
    I would be really interested in what your kids love and hate and what different cultures are feeding their little ones.

mintycat is offline Registered User
    My DD is 2 and she is pretty much eating adult food now, but sometimes we still cook her meals separate from ours since I don't like to use a lot of salt and spices in her food.

When she was past the mushy food stage, we first offered her congee (we are Chinese). I always add one meat (fish - sole or salmon, pork or chicken) and 2 different types of vegetables (kale, choysum, zucchini, spinach, tomato, potato, corn, peas, beans etc). Sometimes I will add egg (after 1 year old, I gave her eggwhite), cheese or tofu to the congee. I pureed the congee a little bit so there was a little bit of texture but not so mushy that she didn't have to chew. As she got older, the congee required less cooking time so that it is the consistency of soft rice. Now she eats the same rice as we do.

I also give my DD pasta, macaroni, udon, vermicelli with the above meat and veggie combo.

Some of her favorite combinations are:
    -Rice with beef, tomato and potato
    -Pasta with tomato sauce, beef and a cube of cheese
    -Rice with sole fillet, zucchini and chopped spinach
    -Rice with salmon, tofu and any kind of green vegetable
    -Rice with steamed minced pork, steamed egg and green vegetable
    -Udon with chicken, corns, corn and peas

She always has a bowl of Chinese soup with her meals. Lately I feel like I am running out of ideas so I'd be interested to hear what you guys are feeding your toddlers.

Hi Mintycat
    thanks for food ideas
    I was also giving my daughter (11/2) congee but lately she seems to hate it!
    but if I give her bread she will eat it.
    So I have started to make healthy muffins (vegtable and cheese) as well to tempt her when she is being extra fussy
    But surely she cant survive on bread alone?!!

vege and cheese muffins

1-2 cups of grated mixed veg (eg. sweet potato, carrot, zucchini beetroot etc)
    1 cup grated cheese
    2 cups Self raising flour
    2 tspn baking powder
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    3 tsp olive oil
    12 hole muffin pan
    paper patty pans

grate veg and fry gently until soft.
    Add salt and pepper if using
    Let cool

Sift flour and baking powder. add the vegetable and mix by hand until veg well coated in flour
    mix in cheese
    beat egg and milk then add oil
    mix the egg mixture into the vegtable mixture quickly and roughly (do not over mix. I do this by hand)
    divide into muffin pans
    Bake in 180C oven for 20-30 mins

How did you get your daughter to drink soup?
    Mine will not drink it.

Thanks for the muffin idea. It sounds yummy. I will try it soon as I do homemade bran muffin with blueberries and she loves that for breakfast. For breakfast she also eats cereal (somehow she prefers to have them dry and drink the milk separately), oatmeal or yoghurt.

However, my DD doesn't like bread, she will eat the cheese or lick the jam inside, but doesn't usually eat the bread!

She started drinking soup at around 8 months I think, so I think she is used to it? She seems to love soup. Sometimes she cannot finish her meals but she can always finish a big bowl of soup. These are her favourite:

- fish, potato and tomato
    - carrot, corn and pork
    - oxtail, tomato, potato, celery, carrot
    - salmon and its bone, leek, corn, carrot
    - apple, pear and pork
    - papaya, white fungus and pork

DinoMom is offline Registered User

Unhappy Fussy 17 mths girl

Hello all, I'm a new member and need help !!! Anyway, my 17 mths girl recently refuses to eat solid foods (e.g. rice, pasta, meat, veggy) but will only take fruits. We are chinese, so I'm basically preparing her what Mintycat is preparing for her DD. My girl used to be such a good eater, although a little bit fussy. At first, I will just let her skip the lunch or dinner if she doesn't eat. But now it has almost been a week and I'm afraid that she's not getting what she needs, so I will let her drink milk (formula). Does anyone has this kind of experience. I suspect that she is toothing & so her gum hurts when she eat. But then she can still chew fruits ?! Anyone has any idea ??

Konradsmom is offline Registered User
    I have a question re cheese - what kind of cheese do you give your babies and how? I wanted to introduce it as a finger food to bub but not sure how he could manage to chew a piece of cheddar as its so hard???

has anybody given cream cheese to their babies? is it advisable ? I read somewhere that its OK, but also recall some soft cheeses are not recommended......

My younger one is now 13 months, so I give her all kinds of cheese like string cheese (cut up into small bite size), cheddar, baby bel (the round red ones) etc. How old is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by DinoMom View Post
    Hello all, I'm a new member and need help !!! Anyway, my 17 mths girl recently refuses to eat solid foods (e.g. rice, pasta, meat, veggy) but will only take fruits. We are chinese, so I'm basically preparing her what Mintycat is preparing for her DD. My girl used to be such a good eater, although a little bit fussy. At first, I will just let her skip the lunch or dinner if she doesn't eat. But now it has almost been a week and I'm afraid that she's not getting what she needs, so I will let her drink milk (formula). Does anyone has this kind of experience. I suspect that she is toothing & so her gum hurts when she eat. But then she can still chew fruits ?! Anyone has any idea ??
    I know how you feel. The first time my daughter stopped eating I was besides myself with worry and no one seemed to have the answer.
    It is so stressful ,especially when they seem to be shrinking before your eyes!
    Finally someone said that the symptoms sounded like teething.
    To me it does sound like she could be teething. can you put your finger in her mouth and feel if there are any bumps on her gums?
    Apparently some babies want to only eat cool soft things (like my daughter) or want to chew on something hard.
    So eating fruit does seem to fit.
    do keep up with the milk, if she will take it, as at least she is getting balanced nutrition.
    A week seems a long time I know, but in perspective it is only a week and she will put back all her weight suprisingly quickly!.
    The typical question doctors ask is whether or not she is lethargic or floppy or just not herself (obviously she maybe a bit grumpy or whiney if she is teething)
    If she is still alert and fairly happy, try not to stress.
    Just keep trying to give her little sips of nutritious chinese soup. (by the way my daughter is now a complete chinese soup convert)
    slowly introduce some jook and see how she goes.
    If you are still worried you should see your doctor to make sure there is no other problem, like a stomach bug, or a throat infection.
    If you are open to giving panadol you could try giving her a dose an hour before her meal. This may relieve some of the pain.
    My daughter now goes on food strike whenever she is feeling unwell, but after her last loss of appetite for 2 weeks she put weight back almost overnight!

There is formula out there that is a complete nutriton one so you really dont need to worry about her becoming malnutritioned
    This is easy to say but hard to do..try not to stress!