Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Ceiling fans and HK summer weather

snagito is offline Registered User

Hi Everyone. This is our first spring in Hong Kong (I guess about to end) and now our first summer. I hear nothing but horror stories about how dreadful the summer months are and how hot and humid at the same time. Looking forward to it but trying to see what's the best way to be prepared. The flat is sea facing and I am hoping there would be some breeze coming in, but we also thought it would be a good idea to get some ceiling fans installed. They seem to be quite highly priced though, and will be a waste if we need to put the air conditioner on anyway! {The flat is about 1700 square feet in total and every room comes with an a/c installed by the landlord} SO:

Does everyone have the air conditioner on all the time/at night?
    Is this ok for the baby?
    Is electricity expensive here in HK?
    What about the humidity - how does it make you feel and what can we do about it - if we have the air conditioner does it help with the humidity?

Thanks!

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

Wellcome to HK !!! Personally, I think the summer months in HK are really HOT !!! but the temperature also depends on where you live. We live in Mid-level, the flat is around 2000 sq feet and it have a sea facing living room.

Starting from late Feb., we have the air-conditioner(s) turn on 24 hours. The cost of our electricity bill is around 1700/month.
    For my LO, now 13 months, seems to torelent the cool temperature (22c) quiet well.

Bear Lau:

kashismum is offline Registered User

Blimey!

We certainly do not use the a/c from late Feb. We do have ceiling fans and they are not at all expensive. I don't know where you are shopping, but try Alan Engineering in Merlin St, North Point. Fans are about $800 for the big ones and they charge about $500 for installation.

So we're still using fans but it's about now when we'll switch to using the a/c at night only. During the day, we try to use fans and keep the windows open.

I guess the longer you are in HK, the more you get used to the weather. I remember someone telling me that it takes about 7 years for your body to aclimatise (sp?) properly.

As for the little ones...mine were born in HK, so I don't see the point in having them "tolerate the cool temperature" as Bear Lau says. Even if your kids were not born here, IMHO they may as well get used to the weather within reason.

snagito is offline Registered User

Thanks very much for all the tips. Met up with Mr Alan who was lovely and a lot cheaper than where we'd been before - so our lovely fans are being installed this week and we're looking forward to acclimatising!

josoo is offline Registered User

We only turn on ceiling fans at night when we sleep. It's a lovely feeling, as if you're sleeping on the beach, and it's cool enough for us.
    In my daughter's room she also has the ceiling fan on all night. We dress her lightly without a blanket and her body temperature is just right.

Can you imagine having to survive 24/7 with air-con, it's not good for your body at all! You wake up with a dry throat and your skin gets really dry as well. We're moving apts next month and have installed ceiling fans everywhere...they are the best inventions.

Enjoy the fans!