Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Can't get confirmed hospital booking

mosmom is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong SAR
    It's absolutely ridiculous that you can't be guaranteed your (private) hospital choice within the current system. I can only wish you good luck in your birthing experience in HK, and that you have a really great memory of it all. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    cheung chau
    But this is the whole point of the policy - to get people who can afford to pay $$$ to give birth into the private system, thereby reduing the strain on the goverment hospitals. Everyone entitled to enter HK is also entitled to get whatever medical care they wish here, as long as they pay the correct fees. The reason for setting the govt hosp fees so high is exactly for this reason - if you're paying so much anyway, you might as well go private. The policy is to help normal HK residents who have no choice but to use govt hospitals, not to make things easier for relatively well-off people who want to pick and choose hospitals. This is no secret - it's been reported in papers, directly from the people who implemented the policy.

KatBoo is offline Registered User
    Pok Fu Lam
    I'm not suggesting it should be easier for those who use the private hospitals, but it seems ridiculous to implement a policy without giving any thought to how it will effect the entire system - both public and private.

As far as I was to believe (from what I have read in the press), the policy changes were put in place to stop so many mainlanders turning up in labour and resulting in a shortage of beds for residents... but the issue is also about residency and unpaid fees, not just about shortage of beds. Like I said in my previous post, if the policy changes have been they have been, according to the press, the problem of bed shortages should have been resolved resulting in less squeeze in both public and private systems. But this is clearly not the case.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Geiboyi, what of people like me who are residents and willing to pay the fees for private but can't get a room? Doesn't seem fair to me that someone living here doesn't get priority over room allocations if payment is not an issue. I'm not asking a local who can't afford a private hospital birth to give up their room in a gov hospital. I'm asking why I can't get a room in a private when non-resident mainlanders can. The policy doesn't work because everyone needs to be protected not just those using gov hospitals.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Geiboyi - sorry I have to disagree with you re public policy. Just my opinion, but I think that all HKers who can afford it should be encouraged to use private hospitals, leaving public hospitals to those who cannot afford to pay for their medical care. I don't think free public health care is the right of every HK resident, not that you are saying that.

By implementing a policy that effectively encourages non-HK residents to use private hospitals, you turn more HKers towards public hospitals. Aussiegal's example makes this very clear.

I think the system could be mostly fixed by private hospitals only allowing HK resident bookings up until, say, 5 months beforehand. That means that HK residents have 4 months to make a private hospital booking. It still leaves non-HK residents with plenty of time afterwards, if there are places available.

That wouldn't help Aussiegal's case, as she came to HK when she was 6 months pregnant. However, I think her case is quite unusual.

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Much as it is in my interests to 'guarantee' HK residents (or expats) rooms in private hospitals, I think the public hospital charging system makes sense. Let's face it; there are very few of us compared to the numbers of potential Mainlanders who could put pressure on the public system. At least most of us have the choice (if we manage to book in early enough). It would be catastrophic for lower income HKers if their public places were all taken by Mainland mothers.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    isn't the point of the policy to protect ALL LOCAL mothers giving birth? regardless of if you're using public or private system? why is it that only mothers who are using the public system are protected? whereas people who can afford to pay are not(mind you, those people are pay for BOTH the public system for other people's use via their tax money, and their own use of the private system).

We can't complain if choose to use the private system on our own accord, but it doesn't seem fair that people choosing to use the private system does not get at least the same level of protection. The problem is not with which type of hospital you choose, it's the fact that the policy DID NOT alleviate the problem, it just pushes the problem to a different group of people, less outspoken, so the government does not have to deal with it further.

limyp68 is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    Hi all,

I am due in Dec and i was visiting St Theresa's hospital last sat.
    Apparently, its a new block so there are many many beds and when i toured the floor of the maternity ward, its not even half filled!

so that might bea last option, but i understand its more inconvenient for those staying at HK island side.

I probably might choose st theresa's.
    Anyone has good experience there before?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast