Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Can't get confirmed hospital booking

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Can't get confirmed hospital booking

I'm almost 36 weeks pregnant and despite being reassured that by this point I would get a confirmed place at the Matilda I've now been told it's not going to happen. Same for the Adventist.
    I'd love to know of other good private hospitals in Hong Kong that I could see if I can get in to. Any suggestions?

My husband is so concerned he wants me to fly back home (Aus) to have the baby. This would be tough for many reasons -not least because I don't want to risk my husband not being there!

This really sucks. I can't believe the hospitals here can't get their acts together enough to ensure that residents (local or expats) can have babies in the hospital of their choice.

Leeah's mom is offline Registered User

I recommend Union HOspital

I am not sure where you live, union hospital is in N.T
    it's private, very clean and nice. Doctors are very kind.

http://www.union.org maybe you should check out.

sky123 is offline Registered User

Don't know about the quality of these hospitals but these are other private hospitals in Hong Kong you can check out.

Hong Kong Island:
    Hong Kong Sanatorium Hospital
    http://www.hksh.org.hk/
    Canossa Hospital
    www.canossahospital.org.hk
    St Paul's Hospital
    http://www.stpaul.org.hk

Kowloon:
    St. Teresa's Hospital
    www.sth.org.hk
    Baptist Hospital
    www.hkbh.org.hk

Good luck!

kellyst is offline Registered User

so you mean that you have been confirmed a spot earlier and then that promise revoked? how could that have happened? sounds really scary....

KatBoo is offline Registered User

AussieGal, who's your Dr?

I am in a similar situation, am 34 weeks, but because is twins looking at a c-section around 37-38 weeks, so in about 3-4 weeks time (similar dates to you I suspect).

Last time I saw my ObGyn she said she'd try to get me a booking, but as yet I haven't heard anything.....i don't want to pester her by calling, but I am getting nervous about it. Another Mum I know expecting twins is due to have her C-Sect next week but as yet doesn't have a booking at Matilda, although she does have one at Adventist.

I'm not sure what to do either, except sit tight and hope for the best...I guess worst case scenario is Queen Mary.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Kellyst, no, I've never had a confirmed place. I've always been on a waiting list but was assured that by the time it got nearer my due date (like how) i would have a confirmation. Only I don't and now I have to scramble to work out what to do.

Katboo my obstetrician is Dr Dawkins. I'm a bit nervous like you. It's a pretty big day I'd say and to have to worry about which hospital i can go to is absurd.

alibali is offline Registered User

Hi there,
    I sympathize with your situation- you have enough stress without not knowing which hospital you will be going to. I gave birth here in HK 4 months ago at Queen Mary Hospital. I too could have gone back to my home country (UK) for delivery, but I wanted my husband to be there to support me (more important to me than my surroundings), so I decided to stay put. It may sound like worst case scenario, but it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Definitely not as comfy/ cosy as Matilda, but they get the job done and after 2 days you will be in the comfort of your own home (of course, longer for c-section). I had a failed vacuum, then forceps delivery and based on what I heard about the private hospitals, I am glad I was at Queen Mary. The visiting hours suck and it's like going camping, but you will walk out of the hospital with something like a HK$500 bill. In any event, I do hope it all works out for you- but don't get too stressed out if it looks like you'll end up at Queen Mary :)

hunhun_l is offline Registered User

My understanding for Matilda's policy is even if you are confirmed, if there is no bed available on the date of delivery, you still can't go. You know, the estimate due date is never accurate. And if you are not confirmed, and there is a bed on that day, you can go.
    And if there is no bed, matilda will call other private hospitals to check who has bed available. If none, the ultimate solution is public hospital. For public hospital like Queen Elizabeth, its policy I heard is if you don't have a record there (meaning you never did a checkup there), you will go to the emergency room (still better to have Dawkins records with you to show them); if you did have checkups there before (the checkup is pretty much free ), you will go to delivery room.
    seems its all about luck in matilda.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast