Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pregnancy and flight

Sucellia is offline Registered User

Pregnancy and flight

Hi! I am 22 weeks pregnant right now.
    I am planning to go back to my home country to visit my family and
    friends before my belly gets too big. It is about 4-5 hours flight.
    I researched about this issue on the internet and it seems like
    there is no problem. But quite many of my HK friends are strongly
    against the idea of travel. They said it is very harmful to me and
    to my baby.

I consulted Dr. and he said it is no problem but since so many people are against me, I feel like I am doing something very wrong.
    Is there anybody who traveled during the pregnancy? Was there any problem / complication?

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    Go with your doctor. I have flown throughout 3 pregnancies (if you count this one, which still has a couple of months to run). I have flown a lot farther than 4-5 hours too. Only if your doctor says that there is a reason not to fly should you avoid it (usually only if you have a history of complications).

Enjoy the trip - travel is a lot easier without children in tow. Do not let anyone make you feel guilty or make you worry so much that you do not enjoy your holiday. The second trimester is the best time to fly, in my experience (over the worry of the 1st and before you become too big in the 3rd). The airlines tend to stop you at 32-36 weeks. Make sure your doctor gives you a 'fit to fly' letter, in case you come across an awkward check-in clerk. Bon voyage!

miaka is offline Registered User
    i agree, flying is best during the 2nd trimester. i flew the long haul to SF and had no problems. go with your dr's advice and as mentioned above, you'll need that 'fit to fly' letter when you check in. if you need extra help, just ask the airline for assistance ie. w/ baggage. you can even get a wheelchair so you don't have to walk so much -- extra handy when seats are full at the gate!

mintycat is offline Registered User
    I agree that the second trimester is the best time for flying. I flew during both of my pregnancies and I was about 25-26 weeks each time. My doctor was totally fine with it and even told me to enjoy ourselves. My mother in law and sister in law were like your friends, they advised me against it and wondered why my doctor allowed me to fly. My husband and I went on those trips anyway.

wittlewabbit is offline Registered User
    I flew back to Singapore ( flight about 3 half hours) and i was in my 33 weeks. Though it was a short flight, you can also take precautions as to get up and walk regularly ( to prevent deep vein thrombosis--blood clot) or just rotate your ankles regularly if you sit down. Drink up:) water---some staff are nice enough to offer you hot milk,or soya milk if you ask for-in it. Also if you want, you might want to wear some support tights.:)

Most importantly is to get a doctor's approval letter to give you the go ahead to fly.--

LeahH is offline Registered User

Flights are fine

Hi, I have flown throughout my preg, both long and short haul. Dr says its fine as long as you keep hydrated, wear flight socks, get an aisle seat and get up regularly.

Sucellia is offline Registered User
    Thank you very much for all the replies! I feel much better now!
    I have another Dr.'s appointment soon so I will check with Dr. that me and my baby is healthy enough to fly!

kyojee is offline Registered User
    This may come a little late, but I guess I'll give my 2 cents for reference! I'm 9 weeks pregnant, and would be flying in my 10th and 13th week. Both are short flights (less than 4 hours) and I've gotten green light from my OB! He said to keep hydrated and REFRAIN from carrying heavy luggage. I think it's best to speak to your doctor, as it really depends on your condition. He/She would be the best person to advise! All I'm worried now is the terrible morning sickness, I just hope I don't throw up on someone's seatbelt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast