Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Travelling to Canada/US

mintycat is offline Registered User
    Hi there, I am from Toronto too!

1) I am not sure if they have your formula here in HK. You can check out the Enfamil website to see if they have it. Last summer when we went back to Toronto for 6 weeks, my daughter had already weaned from breastmilk and was on formula. I took the 7 cans of formula with me because I did some research and found out Toronto does not have the Nestle Nan HA formula that we used here in HK. I always took a thermos of hot water with me to mix the formula. I took that on the plane too.

2) I took all my bottles with me to Toronto since we were there for so long. Since our fomula is not thickened, I just did what we did in HK. I am not sure if the bags work better for your type of formula. I guess just do what you do in Toronto.

3) Since you will be living with your parents, you can prepare her solids in their home? I cooked all my toddler's (she was 14 months then) meals at my parents' home.

4) I lived with my parents and they bought a sterilizer for me. Since you are here for just 2 weeks, I think you can use sterilizing tablets.

5) My parents also bought a cot for my DD because they figure they will have other grandchildren staying with them in the future. The first few nights, DD woke up at 2 am and because the cot there is much bigger than the one we had in HK. After a few nights, she was fine. I think it took about 5 days for her to get over jet lag.

6) Nothing much to do to prevent fussing on the plane. For ear pressure during and take off and landing, I gave her a lollipop to suck on. Yours is too young, so you can give her a pacifier (if she uses one) or a bottle. Bring some toys to distract her. Walk around if she is crying but if the seatbelt sign is on, you can't do much. I had people stare at me too but I just stared back.
    To adjust jet lag, I did the same routine at the same time as we did in HK, but adjusted to Toronto time. In the first few days, she would not want to wake up from her afternoon nap, but I still woke her up at 4 pm and then fed her dinner at 6 pm. She would get cranky but better to get her adjusted to the new time than for her to sleep til 10 pm and be very awake in the middle of the night.

7) I think babies can sleep anywhere? Mine can nap in malls or at a noisy restaurant at that age. I'd put her in a sling or stroller and she'd fall alseep when she was tired.

8) You can ask CX for a travel cot and place you in the first aisle. Don't mind if people stare at you. Those with kids will understand and those who don't, you don't need to mind what they think. They will know how difficult it is when they have kids.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well with your travel. Congrats on the pregnancy!!

tkn
    tkn is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone for your car seat advice. We'll bring our own car seat and check it in. Will report back on how it goes.

bunbunng is offline Registered User
    Thanks Mintycat for the fast response, it's all helpful and informative.

I'd definitely bear your experience in mind.

My major concern is her feedings (esp with her acid reflux) as well as jetlag, since coincidentally, her spit ups are much less whenever she sleeps well during the night.

Though bringing my daughter back sounds adventurous for us, I still look forward to visit my parents there.

Thanks again for the info.

ps. I realize there are strict rules in bringing baby food/bottles with liquid to the airports, any tips or anything that I should be aware of?

Matty is offline Registered User
    Bunbunng, you would be better bringing your own formula with you, as thickened formulas aren't readily available in HK.
    I have people bring them in for me, from Australia.

mintycat is offline Registered User
    I haven't traveled with my DD since the new rules have been implemented. I would think its ok to bring along baby formula and water, otherwise what is your baby going to eat? Better call and check with the airline just to be on the safe side.

carang is offline Registered User
    you can ONLY take water if it is in less than 100mL bottles... you CAN get boiled water on the planes though. and you CAN buy water once you clear immig/customs/security checks.

the same holds true for any gels or liquids (including lipstick etc.)

spellinbee is offline Registered User
    i brought my boy (1 yrs old at that time) to toronto and i had the same problem with the car seats. Too big to bring along but rental car companies charges on avg 10 bucks a day (our vacation was for a 3 week so it will be quite expensive). Luckily, I used a chinese pickup service (and told them i will need a car seat when they pick us up from airport) and this driver agrees to "rent" his car seat to me for much less. (he happend to have a daughter and he has 2 car seats!!)Forgot what i paid but i think was around 100 for the 3 week period. I asked for his service to drive us for our return trip so it was really convenient. :). let me know if you are interested in his service and i will see if i can dig out his numbers again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12