Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smoking Bars

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    Yes, Rani, they are. In fact they always have been (even before the smoking ban). What I meant was that the Irish smoking ban is a blanket ban, not a million loopholes like the HK one, and in many bars and restaurants, business actually increased on the back of it as people who'd avoided smokey places for decades started to frequent pubs etc. again. Believe me, if they can pull it off in Ireland, itr can work anywhere!

joannek is offline Registered User
    one thing i gotta defend the hk govt for about the smoking ban. in hk, the situation is quite different than in a lot of european or n. american cities. in hk, most of the bars are in high rises. plus, there are gazillion of competition re: restaurants, pubs, bars, discos, karaoke, etc. it gets very complicated. for overseas, when ppl can't smoke in the restaurant, they only need to push the door to go on the street. in hk, they probably have to take the lift down to g/f & smoke there. i'm all for banning smoking, i just understand the difficulty the govt faces.

in fact, since smoking has been banned indoors, i have been inhaling 2nd smoke so much more now, cos so many ppl are smoking on the streets & at the entrances of office bldgs!

qwerty is offline Registered User
    Typically perscriptive of the Hong Kong Govt. Dont let us parents make the decision ourselves! Allow exemptions - fine, but then allow parents the right to decide if they want to take their kids or not. We used to love to go to Delaneys and when it was not too full, not much smoke and sit near a window, so we were okay with that.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    We tried Delaney's the other night and were surprised at not being able to bring a baby in.
    I guess the ban makes slightly more sense than banning babies from horse tracks.
    2009 will be great, assuming that 2009 doesn't become 2019 and they fill in the space with loopholes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12