Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smoking Bars

rani is offline Administrator

Smoking Bars

Our Mother's Day.

We thought we'd head over to the Dicken's Bar at the Excelsior Hotel for their lunch buffet. Unfortunately, D wasn't allowed in. Since they've applied for an exemption to the Non-Smoking ban, under 18 are no longer allowed. Actually most of the bars in SOHO/LKF have applied for an exemption! So that leaves us with very few options if you want pub grub.

I think I prefer non-smoking sections to no-entry..

The complete list of bars granted exemptions is here:
    http://www.tobaccocontrol.gov.hk/eng...ments.html#bar
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

sunniefaith is offline Registered User
    I wonder why don't they allow kids into smoking bars? It's not as if the kid is going to be smoke. Or is it for the protection of the child?

mosmom is offline Registered User
    Obviously, it's for the protection of the children ("passive smoking"). It's just annoying that the government passed this law and has alerted everyone about it, but at the same time it's already giving out exemptions. The whole smoking ban idea was too ambitious anyway.

mosmom is offline Registered User
    Rani, I agree with you: would also prefer non-smoking sections rather than being rejected to enter. The whole thing seems so rigid.

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    I'd rather live with no-entry. So many non-smoking sections were so pathetic that they were meaningless. Thereb seem to be too many exemptions. The system works perfectly in Ireland, I cannot understand why they cannot get it right here.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    The smoking exemption does mean there are few places in Central/Wanchai etc. where you can take children. We had the same problem a couple of weeks ago.

The Pickled Pelican on Wyndham Street has an exemption but on Saturday and Sunday afternoons the manager makes the bar non smoking so babies and children can go. As a result we now go most Saturdays. There's also plenty of space for our little one to crawl around, and the staff love him and take him off to play while we eat!

Personally I think the smoking ban is typical of the HK govt.- they know it is necessary and yet pander to the food and beverage lobby! They haven't the guts to go all the way and do the job properly.
    Smoking and non-smoking areas do not work especially in HK where many restaurants and bars are tiny!

I can not wait for the ban to apply to all restaurants and bars- roll on 2009!

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User
    I agree that non smoking areas don't work.I always felt that letting people to smoke in one area of the room and not another is like drawing an invisible line down the centre of a swimming pool and allowing people to pee in one end but not the other end. Would you still want to swim in that pool?

rani is offline Administrator
    Mom of 2,

Aren't kids allowed in pubs during the day in Ireland? I don't smoke, and am not crazy about my child being exposed to 2nd Hand smoke. My problem is that we have very few kid friendly restaurants in HK, and at least we could pop into a pub knowing there's something on the menu that D could have. I can't wait till he's open to trying new things and we can go for dim sum or sushi. But right now we're kinda stuck!

Bekyboo, thanks for letting us know about Pickled Pelican. Hope the others follow their lead.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast