Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

British Passport Eligibility

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    However had my husband been British by birth our son would have got a British passport regardless of where he was born.

Not sure what happens if two British by descent parents have a child born outside of the UK.

madaboutCows is offline Registered User
    I think that's because it goes on the fathers citizenship and not the mothers. This is the reason I had both of my sons in the UK and not in HK as I am British by birth.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    I hope this post doesn’t offend anyone by calling them either first or second class British citizens but this is, in reality, what is happening.

There are two ways to be British citizens,
    • First Class - by connection with Britain
    • Second Class - by descent (i.e. at least one parent is a first class British citizen)

The only difference between the first class and second class is that first class citizens can pass British citizenship on to their children but second class ones can’t.

There are many ways to prove a connection with Britain and thus be a first class British citizen.

The most usual way is to be born of British parents (either First Class or second class) AND born in Britain.

However there are other ways, being naturalized as a British citizen is one of them – this means you were born with a different nationality , moved to live in Britain and after a certain number of years (different for different cases) applied and were granted British citizenship.

There are other ways, for example being born of parents serving in the British military.

In Hong Kong before 1997 the British government also granted certain groups British citizenship. If you came from a non-Chinese minority then you were given first class citizenship and can pass it on to your children (for one generation, unless they prove a connection to Britain).

The British government also granted 50,000 Chinese households British passports but these were second class because they can’t pass the British Citizenship on to their children.

If you are born by descent and thus hold a second class British passport there is nothing you can do to make it first class. The only way to get British citizenship for your children is for the children to prove connection with Britain (and thus get a first class passport). The easiest way to prove this is to be born in Britain. Another way is to spend at least five years of your childhood in Britain. If this applies to your children I would get documented evidence of all the time that the child spends in Britain (ask for chops at immigration).

I’ve also found the people at the British Consulate in Hong Kong very helpful with answering these sort of questions.

Best wishes sorting all this out,
    SARAH

ren1909 is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the clarification Sarah - this is very clear. My husband got his passport through naturalisation while mine was through the govt programme back in 90s whereby the whole household got one and i am Chineses. However I have stayed in the UK for over 10 years for school and work... I think it is worth looking into. Thank you everyone for your advice!

ren1909 is offline Registered User
    I checked with the British consulate today and my child is eligible!!! Now I just need to take a good passport photo!>!>!>

rani is offline Administrator
    Yipee! What a relief. I was a hopeless new Mom, and with the non-stop feeds and explosive poos I couldn't get my act together. So I ended up taking D's passport photos myself. I just covered his bouncy seat with a white sheet and took around 6 shots with my digital camera. Put the best one on a CD and hubby took them to the Fotomax to get it printed.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

carang is offline Registered User
    you're lucky you were able to do that... the canadian passport photo restrictions are so strict that there are only a few places in HK that can actually take the correct photo!

bbvv is offline Registered User
    I'm British born and have a British Passport, my husband born in HK has a HKSAR passport. My son born in HK was able to get a British Passport when I renewed mine this January. I also obtained a PIC on my son's passport to confirm that he has the right of abode in HK since he was born here and this gets converted to a child's HKID when he turns 11 years old. Furthermore the reason why I applied for this is for immigration purposes - the British Consulate told me that Immigration point do not accept baby's birth certificate on entry to HK - just something else parents bear in mind when applying for their children's british passport. If not you can apply for a HKSAR passport if the child is born in HK.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast