Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

British Passport Eligibility

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    All my children have British passports with the words “British Citizen” inside. This will allow them to live, work and study in, not just Britian, but the whole of the EU.

They also have Hong Kong SAR passports, and permanent ID cards. (My youngest is still too young to have a photograph on her card but she has a card and an ID number.)

They also have “Wui Heung Jin” (sp?) cards given by the Chinese government which allow them to travel throughout Mainland China without the need for a visa.

None of the British government officials that I have dealt with have ever questioned their dual nationality. This is not the same for the Chinese government officials but the best way around this I found was for my husband to deal with it all and me not to show my face!

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    My youngest child is now six and a half years old – so my best guess is that I applied for her passport about six years ago. I renewed it last year sometime.

The British nationality law that governs a child’s right to British Citizenship hasn’t changed since the British Nationality Act of 1981 and this law isn’t sexist so it doesn’t matter whether it is the mother or the father that is the British citizen, so long as they are married. If the parents aren’t married than it must be the mother who is British.

There is another law, Nationality, Immigration & Asylum Act of 2002, which talks about children of British mothers born before 1981 and children of unmarried British fathers.

To understand the situation you might be interested in the article,
    History of British Nationality Law, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...ationality_law

bbvv is offline Registered User
    Applying for my son's British passport took 5 working days from the date I applied. For the PIC label - I had to wait until I collected his passport to apply and they said it takes roughly takes 6 to 8 weeks to handle the application but we had ours within 4 weeks. Just make sure you leave ample time incase of complications.

I only applied because we will be travelling back to UK next month so did all this at the end of January/early Feb.

jeanyee is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your quick response... think I better call the UK consulate up before planning my baby in Hong Kong...

tutor1 is offline Registered User

passport

Quote Originally Posted by bbvv View Post
    Applying for my son's British passport took 5 working days from the date I applied. For the PIC label - I had to wait until I collected his passport to apply and they said it takes roughly takes 6 to 8 weeks to handle the application but we had ours within 4 weeks. Just make sure you leave ample time incase of complications.

I only applied because we will be travelling back to UK next month so did all this at the end of January/early Feb.
    Hi BBV

Just wondering if you can help me. I'm looking at the british consulate website and not sure what form you downloaded. I, like you, have a child born outyside the UK (Australia) but I am a UK citizen by birth and would lik =e to get her visa and British passport.

rani is offline Administrator
    Tutor1,

I'm assuming your child is under 16, it's form C2
    http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?...=1065720963444
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

tutor1 is offline Registered User

Passport

Thanks Rani - much appreciated.

bbvv is offline Registered User
    Hi tutor1 - that the correct form - also make sure you have the correct passport background (white) and size. However, if the consulate is not happy with the photo, there is a photo machine downstairs you can take.

Also make sure you bring your birth certificate, your british passport and your baby's birth certificate.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast