Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

British Passport Eligibility

ren1909 is offline Registered User

British Passport Eligibility

Hi - both my husband and I have British passport. I had it because of the govt scheme back in the 80s/90s (?) whereby my whole family got British passports. My husband got his because he has stayed in the UK for 10 years. My passport was issued in HK while his was issued in the UK. does anyone know if our child would be eligible for a British passport if he/she was born in Hong Kong? Any advice would be appreciated.

sky123 is offline Registered User
    If you are British Citizens your child should be eligible for a British passport. My baby was born in Hong Kong but has a British passport.

rani is offline Administrator
    Yes your child is eligible.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

kellyst is offline Registered User
    really? I have a British passport by the same scheme back in 80/90s. My husband does not have one. but i just assumed that since i was not a 'naturalized British citizen', is that what they're called? my child will not be eligible?
    in ren1909 case, would that be because her husband got it by living in UK for 10 years? i thought i read that the passport gotten through that scheme cannot be passed on through generations, e.g. i got it because my parents got it, so that stops with me, does not get passed on to my child?

kellyst - that's what I heard too... but now some friends said that if your passport is issued in the UK (which mine wasn't) then you maybe able to obtain that status for your child... I just want to clarify and go through the right process before trying as I don't want to affect future ability of my child to claim British citizenship...
    any more help or advice out there? anyone who is in the same situation and got through??

kellyst is offline Registered User
    ren1909, for you, my guess is also that your child should be able get it through your husband's citizenship, as he obtained 'on his own'.

I am not sure cos he wasn't born in the uk though... and once you are not born in the uk i am not sure whether you can pass onto the next generation...

rani is offline Administrator
    Are you refering to the minority scheme in the 90s? I got my British passport then and was able to apply for D.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast