Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Rightmind kinderu

Coco is offline Registered User

Rightmind kinderu

Hi Mums,
    Have any of you had any experiences with the Rightmind teaching method - the Rightmind nursery and Rightmind KinderU ? I've been visiting a few nurseries. The guy that owned Rightmind was keen and passionate about his nursery unlike the others that I visited. Would appreciate if you could share if you've studied with them. Thanks !

Neha is offline Banned
    Hi

We went for Parents seminar at Kinder u. U are right Mr. Ho is very passionate about his teacjing method adn school. Our son is 6 months old , We have a trial lesson next Tuesday in English. You can pay monthly. If u take once a week then in is HD 1050.00 a month and if u take 2 times a week it is HKD 1720.00. Trial session is HKD 220.00. One adult is required for the class along with the kid. H ealso has a kinder garten which is bi lingual Mandarin and English. I think this school is the closest to following of Glen Doman and Shishida system. Will let u know how session goes

mintycat is offline Registered User
    We went to the seminar too and enrolled DD in the IM class when she was 14 months. We only did one month and withdrew. While I agree that while Mr. Ho is very passionate about this teaching method, the whole place is very commercialized. When a space was available for us, I called and asked the girls at the reception if we were starting a new class or we were going into a class that had already started. The reason I asked this was because they learn flashcards in the class and if we just went into a class that had already gone on for months, I wanted to know if my daughter would've missed out on something. None of them could answer my question. They said none of them know the syllabus and only the owner, Mrs. Ho could answer my questions. I had to wait for a day for Mrs. Ho to get back to me. I don't understand why only Mrs. Ho can answer that question.

Also, they sell the Glenn Doman cards at the KinderU and it's way overpriced. I ended up buying form Glenn Doman's website and it was much much cheaper.

In the end, after a month there, I decided I didn't want to take my daughter there anymore. We don't even use the flashcards at home.

Bizeemama is offline Registered User
    As an early years educator, I feel the need to mention that Glen Doman methods are wonderful and an excellent means to accellerate learning. It is important to remember that the Glen Doman method is now nudging thirty years and so although it has its place in early year history, it is becoming dated in a modern world. Parents should be aware of this when paying a large sum of money for an old phillosophy.
    Glen Doman in a nutshell is about exposing children and repeating small but useful bits of information, this is also done in the form of flashcards in various languages etc.
    The flashcard technique, that is using whole word approach is a proven early years reading method and one that we can all use to encourage reading from a very early age, but again, it is all about exposure.
    It is also important to remember that Glen Doman placed ENORMOUS emphasis on motor skill development and from what I see in Hong Kong, this area of development is sadly lacking. (I mean actual cross pattern motor skill development, propper brachiation etc. not just a few action songs and run around at playgroup, where there is normally limited space and very little input as to what children should be encouraged to try!)
    It is also very important to ensure both the right and left hemisphere are well developed before the age of 2.5 years, this is called bilateral development and should ALWAYS be encouraged (for a number of reasons that I will not go into now). Without good bilateral development, lateralization at approx 2.5 years and excellent sensory intergration will take a back seat, and this WILL come back in later school life to show in various forms from poor co ordination, si issues, and learning difficulties from minor to severe.
    I am a true believer in Glen Doman and use many of his methods in my teaching,however, I also believe that his style is becoming a little outdated in today's world. Do remember how much more is on offer in our community over the past thirty years, increased travel, internet, excellent and beautiful children's literature and the list goes on, recognized early years motor sensory programs, an increased input from fathers, the recognition that birth to three are the years to lay the solid early learning foundations. Many of the things Doman encourages in his methods are here in our modern world. In essence time has very much caught up with his phillosophy.
    ALL children will lean "rote" style if exposed day in and day out to a set of flashcards, a piece of music or number dots. What is important is the visualization that occurs. If you show a word to a child for example "cat" - can the child truly visualize the word, make the sounds a cat does, move like a cat and later in school write a short piece about the cat that shows imagination and creativity? This is what we need to give our children - the opportunity to learn, creativity and imagination. So many parents and educators get so caught up in teaching children to read and some children are very impressive with their ability, but sadly so many children have no idea what they are reading, the comprehension is lacking. But while parents continue to be impressed with a child reading 20 or 30 words from a flashcard or recognizing their "annie apples" from phonics these old and dated methods will always have a place and always have a market.
    Just my thoughts anyway.............

Miguelito is offline Registered User
    My suggestion to you is to do a TRIAL class and get opinions from friends and people who have tried it also. And before you sign up, especially for KinderU, also check out Little Dynamites, and inspect KU's policies. I have heard a number of complaints about their policies, whether about transferring classes, absences, refund policy, etc. Maybe you could do a search on the forums too, people have complained about KinderU and a few other centres here for a few years, but it's funny how everyone still learns the hard way.

One more suggestion, make sure you ask how long the teacher has been teaching. Several parents discovered that some of the teachers there have NEVER taught before. No surprise in Hong Kong, but always find a teacher who has taught for at least 2 years or more before your child becomes their guinea pig.

Miguel

newbies is offline Registered User
    Hey...not only that the teacher/s without teaching experience, KU even taking in people with no proper knowledge and training in GD. Look at how high is the teacher and administrative staffs turnover. I personally adore GD program and it is not something that is new to me at all. But, this couple in KU distorted the program in such that they are only out for $$$. GD is really a home based teaching program...and the whole idea is abt repetitive. So, do you believe your kid will gain from the once or twice a week with them?

newbies is offline Registered User
    Re-read my post. I do feel that I should clarify that I do not have anything against the owner at all on personal level. Only on their way of doing business. I know business is about making profit but never seen one to this extreme.