Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please advise, hiring new maid (a vent)

mintycat is offline Registered User

Please advise, hiring new maid (a vent)

I am 36 weeks pregnant and am in the process of hiring a maid. We filled out all the papers more than 10 days ago. Her contract with her previous employer ended on May 15. She went to the Immigration to submit the papers and then to the Phil Consulate but then was told that they needed my husband's ID copy. She told me last Fri morning, so I told her to go to his office to get a copy that day. I called her that afternoon but her phone was disconnected.

I couldn't reach her til 6 pm and she said it was because there was no more money in her phone card. I said fine, do you want to pick up the copy over the weekend? She said she will come on Tuesday to pick it up because she has lots of stuff to do on Sat to Mon. I didn't want to argue with her so I said ok.

Today, she said she will come to my place at 11 am, I rushed home after taking my DD to a playgroup and waited but she was a no show. I finally called her and she said someone from the church came from the Philippines and they wanted her to go to the airport to pick the person up. I said fine, but she could've called me to tell me she wasn't coming in the morning. She finally came at 3 pm while I was out. I called her just now at 8 pm to see how things went at the consulate and she said the consulate was closed at 3 pm already when she arrived!

I got very mad and asked her if this job was important to her because it seems that she is deferring and not giving it a priority. Her visa expires on June 2, doesn't she want to get things processed ASAP? I don't understand why she is taking her time. In my experience, all the helpers I have hired before always wanted to get things processed very quickly. She said because she is living at the shelter now for free that she is obligated to help them with whatever they ask and that she is very very busy. But isn't getting your job visa equally important? In the middle of our conversation, the phone was cut off (her end) and ever since then, the phone has been switched off and I cannot reach her.

I just get the impression that she is not very reliable. Can I change my mind in not hiring her? She has submitted stuff to the Immigration already. I am so upset that I cried after the phone call, maybe its the hormones. I really don't need the stress right now.

Any advise? Am I being petty or what?

rani is offline Administrator
    Oh no! You poor thing. Sounds like she's stalling. Maybe she's waiting for another offer? I would start looking for another one ASAP. I don't think immigration would have taken the papers from her if the ID card was missing.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Thanks Rani for your reply. I already put in an ID card copy in a sealed envelope for the Immigration (together with our proof of income papers etc). Does the Phil Consulate need another copy of the ID card?

Yes she does need an ID copy for the Consulate. What I don't understand is that she's gone to Immigration before the Consulate. She needs to get the Employment contract chopped and verified at the Consulate before immigration will accept it.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

My mom's maid said the same thing, that she should've gone to the consulate to get everything chopped before going to the Immigration.

So if the Consulate has verified everything, can I still decide not to hire her? I want to tell her tomorrow but since I still cannot get through to her, I worry she will go to the Consulate very early tomorrow.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    i don't think it bodes well at all. I'd be really upset, to be put through that at 36 weeks.

Either she is up to something, like looking at alternate employers or she is stupid. I'm sorry, I really think it comes down to that. Any maid who really wants to work with you will get everything sorted as quickly as they can. Realistically, you need to find someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by mintycat

So if the Consulate has verified everything, can I still decide not to hire her? I want to tell her tomorrow but since I still cannot get through to her, I worry she will go to the Consulate very early tomorrow.
    I should think so. You are entitled to change your mind. If the papers haven't been submitted to immigration it should be fine.

Just received an email about an available helper. PMing you.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

mum of 2 is offline Registered User
    I'm afraid that I have to agree with the others. If this is how she's acting while trying to secure a job/visa, I would not be too confident about her reliability after her start date. In my experience (and most of my friends), most helpers start off at their best and go slightly downhill from there. Her excuses might be legitimate, but as you say, the courtesy of a phone call would be nice. I'd keep looking if I were you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast