Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Easiest time to get pregnant

Coco is offline Registered User

Easiest time to get pregnant

Hi Mums,

I always thought that the 14th day after your period (that is if you have a 28 day cycle) was the day that you ovulate and the easiest day to get pregnant. Recently, my friend who is trying to get pregnant told me that it is 4 days before this ovulation day, and that on the 14th day, it is already too late ! Is this true ?

capital is offline Banned
    This is from the idea that it is better to have the sperm in place, so to speak, so that when you ovulate the sperm are already there and waiting. Sperm live longer than eggs. So if you have sex the day you ovulate, the sperm still have to swim up to get to the egg, the egg only lives 24 hours, I think. You could get pregnant, but you up your chances by having the sperm already there.

rani is offline Administrator
    Here's a great video on How Pregnancy Happens on You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZKuuUPjk1Q
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Matty is offline Registered User
    There can be a lot of variation from woman to woman, if you do have a 28 day cycle, the average is day 14.

I have a 28 day cycle, but on average ovulate on day 10.

You can find out when you ovulate with an ovulation test kit which you can get from Mannings or Watson's

joannek is offline Registered User
    capital got it right. i prefer the Basal Body temperature (BBT) method. cos one of my close friend always used the ovulation kit to check ovulation date, but always fail...

the day when your BBT raises, that's the day you ovulate. by tracking 3 cycles (providing that your cycles are regular), you'll know exactly when you ovulate. start making love 3 dys before you ovulate, every other day, you should be able to get pregnant. (i.e. providing you normally have intercourse twice a week, so making love every other day is not too much for the 2 of you; sperm count normal & everything else good)

Good Luck!

mintycat is offline Registered User
    I used the BBT method, the ovulation predictor tests and checking cervical mucous. I have long cycles which varies from 35-39 days so Day 14 has never been accurate for me. I usually ovulate between Day 17-21.

If you choose to use the BBT and checking cervical mucous method, a great and informative read for me has been "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Wenschler. It explains how to do this very clearly.
    Last edited by rani; 05-25-2007 at 10:03 AM.

capital is offline Banned
    I also would recommend that book, very good information. I found cervical mucous the vbest indicator for me. I always forgot to take my temp, or I would wake up early in the mornng so then it wouldn't be acurate. There are lots of ways to tell when you are ovulating, the book explains it all.

joannek is offline Registered User
    i agree, i also read that book. it helped me realise more about the changes of my body. i now actually don't need any indicator & actually feels the ovulation changes in my body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast