Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breastfeeding problem - embarrassing!

Bubbly is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding problem - embarrassing!

Got a weird breastfeeding problem, just wanted to see if anyone knows how to deal with it.

I have developed a milk blister (?) on one of my nipples, it's like a blister except it is storing my milk so it's getting bigger. I only discovered it this morning and tried gently squeezing it to see if it will pop, but no luck (it hurts a little when I squeeze, but then again, it is a sensitive area!). If anyone can advise me on what to do with it, please let me know.

Many thanks!

KJP
    KJP is offline Registered User
    Hi Bubbly,

Have sent you a pm.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    you need to see a lactation consultant and she will pierce it with sterilised needle to burst the milk blister. I would not advise doing it yourself due to possible infection problems.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    It sounds as though you have a milk bleb – a white stop on the nipple. These can be caused by a plugged duct, thrush or skin blocking the milk duct and may oocur after a trauma to the nipple.

If the bleb doesn’t hurt, nothing needs to be done. If it is painful, try to apply wet heat either with a warm compress or by soaking the nipple in warm water. Another approach is to wear a cotton ball soaked in olive oil in your bra to soften the skin and then attempt to peel away the thickened layer of skin. After the feed attempt to express from the nipple the remaining material by compressing the nipple behind the plug. Sometimes it is possible to express a thickened string of milk, which will help open the duct and keep it open.

If the above treatment doesn’t bring quick relief, I’d suggest going o see your doctor or a nurse to open the blister. It is easy to get infection when you do this yourself as there is a correct technique to opening a blister. If you do have to open the blister use a little lansinoh cream afterwards as this will speed the healing and reduce the scar tissue.

Hope you are feeling better soon,
    SARAH

joannek is offline Registered User
    i suggest you see a lactation consultant. i put some replies on geobaby regarding your situation. pls try to search thread under "yeast infection", the thread should come up.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    If you can’t resolve your problem then seeing a lactation consultant is a really good idea as they have loads more training than any other professional to help with breastfeeding problems.

I, however, would caution assuming the problem is caused by thrush. I’ve found that people in Hong Kong are very happy to assume that the problem is thrush when it could be many other things as well.

If you think it might be thrush read through
    Is thrush causing my sore nipples?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html

If you also have these symptoms then it is likely to be the cause of the bleb. If, however, you don’t have these other symptoms the cause is likely to be something else.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

capital is offline Banned
    I had a milk bleb once, I did pop it with a sterile needle. I am a nurse and I had a medical sterile needle at home. It was one of the most painful things I had. If you don't have a needle, try warm compresses, you could use salt water and try to gentle scrub the dead skin off and express it out. If it has been there awhile it could be really thik, almost dried milk in there so needs to be squeezed out. I agree if you
    can't get it open to see an LC who can open it for you.

The difference between a bleb and thrush, is that thrush often had really bright red nipples and sore latch, you would only get white spots on your nipples if it was really really bad and left unchecked for a long time, most people would have sought help long before that, the whiteness could be anywhere and would not be 1 defined spot, like a bleb would be. A bleb sometimes will be bigger after feeding as the milk is pulled down but can't get out, and rather than general soreness, it will be specifically painful right in that spot.

joannek is offline Registered User
    altho most books & ppl say that thrush & mastitis always result in red skin, nipple or some signs on the skin. i had mastitis, thrush, bleb, abscess & none made my skin red (maybe i have thick skin LOL!!). what i'm trying to say is, even if there no redness on the skin, there might be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast