Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breastpumps

clare76 is offline Registered User

Breastpumps

Hi all,

I've just returned to work and am expressing twice a day. I get around 100-120ml each time from an Avent electric pump. I was wondering if anyone has tried this one and the Medela one? If so, is the Medela one much better in terms of getting more milk?

Thanks

sky123 is offline Registered User
    I used the Medela Swing which was quite good but I found that amount of milk really depends on how often you express or breastfeed. The more you breastfeed/express the more milk you begin to make. I also pumped twice at the office but would also breastfeed at night and early morning.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    To be able to get 100mls is already very good.

The amount of milk you get out is related to many things: The most important is your breast capacity. This is how much milk your breasts can hold at any one time. Some mothers have large breast capacities and other have small breast capacities. A mother with a large capacity will be able to pump more milk at any one time than a mother with a small capacity.

But do not think that a mother with a large capacity makes more milk than a mother with a small capacity – she doesn’t. It is just that she doesn’t need to empty her breasts as often.

Babies need around 750 mls in 24 hours. So a mother who gets 150 mls when she pumps only needs to pump 5 times to get enough milk for 24 hours. Whereas a mother with a smaller capacity, who only gets 75 mls when she pumps will need to pump 10 times a day to make the 750 mls required.

Remember that babies can’t drink that much milk in one go so usually the mother with both a large capacity and a small capacity need to feed between 8 and 14 times in 24 hours.

But the biggest factor deciding how your baby will feed – lots of small meals or fewer larger meals – is your breast capacity.

After that is how easy the mother finds pumping. Some mothers have no problem pumping. They tell their body that the milk is for the baby and they get the milk out. Other mothers find it more difficult. They tell their bodies that the milk is for the baby but their body shouts back, “I’m not giving you the milk unless the baby is here!”

Other mothers find that pumps don’t work well for them but hand expressing is better. And others find hand expressing difficult but get lots when they pump.

Recent research has shown that most mothers maximize the amount of milk they can pump if they have 2.5 to 3 hours between pumping/feeding sessions. The relationship between the length of time since the last pumping/feeding session and the amount of milk collected is not linear. It peaks between 2 and 3 hours.

The amount of milk you get also depends on how easy you find it to get your let-down to work. You can encourage the let-down reflex artificially, by looking at your baby (or thinking about him), or by having a piece of his clothing next to you.

• Apply a warm wet cloth to your breasts.
    • Massage the breasts in small circular motions around the perimeter of the breast.
    • Gently stroke your breasts with your fingertips in a downward motion toward the nipple
    • Lean forward and gently shake the breasts.
    • Gently roll the nipple between your finger and thumb.

There is a hand expression technique is called the Marmet Technique, http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html
    This is useful because it helps the let-down and so you get more milk.

(Please note that the diagram of the breast anatomy is out of date. Recent research has discovered that the milk reservoirs under the areola (the dark coloured part of the breast near the nipple) do not exist. The method, however, still works.)

Some mothers have found that the pumps are not good at getting the let-down to happen and so they use hand expression until the let-down and then swap to pumping. You can also use the times at the end of the Marmet Technique, including the massage, stroke and shake but instead of doing the hand expression use the pump.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

clare76 is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the advice. I can only manage to express once at work and once in the evening but am still feeding my baby on the breast 4 or 5 times a day in the morning, late afternoon, evening and middle of the night! If 100ml seems good then I might just stick with the Avent!

tutor1 is offline Registered User

pumping

Quote Originally Posted by clare76 View Post
    Hi all,

I've just returned to work and am expressing twice a day. I get around 100-120ml each time from an Avent electric pump. I was wondering if anyone has tried this one and the Medela one? If so, is the Medela one much better in terms of getting more milk?

Thanks
    Hi Clare

100mls sounds fantastic. Can I ask how old is your baby? I'm expressing maximum 50mls at the moment - baby only 1 month.