Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

cord blood banking

smritideva is offline Registered User

cord blood banking

hi everyone,
    I've been reading up about the various options availble for cord banking in hk and people's opinions.
    One question remains unanswered, Since i'm an expat here and could be in any part of the world, at the time god forbid i need to use the stored stem cells, how do these places ship them across to you, do they insure to send it to where ever you are, or is it only available in hk. I'm due early july and keen to get this sorted out fast.
    So please help.

Thanks
    Smriti

mamaS is offline Registered User
    The companies can shipped it if ever there is a need. You can ask what countries do they have connection with.

Just to tell you my little story, we had it prepared before my delivery, paid the downpayment and signed the contract.

I had c-section, they got blood before the operation, and another set after you've delivered. Doctor was getting it when i heard him saying, Mr xxx, we need to stop this as she is loosing a lot of blood, so my husband says YES, stop it now. Doctor was able to get and the company tried what they can to preserve it but still not enough. So, we don't have it and we have to pay a certain percentage for cancellation, big amount of money too. My doctor says, it's most applicable for normal deliveries. I can't remember anymore why he wasn't able to do it quickly, maybe the blood flow was slow or something.

Good luck! of course, i still want to you to do it, but ask the company for cancellation charges.

Bubbly is offline Registered User
    The company I used can ship it to quite a few countries. As mamaS said, there are cases where they are unable to store the blood (eg. could be the amount, or that there are infections etc.) The cancellation for mine was $1500 (admin fee) other than that there is no charge if the storage was unsuccessful.

They usuaaly run tests after collecting the blood and give you a report after telling you if the storage was a success or not, plus all the test results.

If you would like more info, send me a PM or e-mail me at [email protected], I can get my agent to call you and if you bank with them, you will get a discount from my referring you.

smritideva is offline Registered User
    MamaS and Bubbly,thanks for the replies they really helped. I've decided to go with cryolife, if there is anyone who is already registered with them please can you give me your name and account number for referral. They would reward you 500 and it would make me also eligible for a discount.

Thanks would appreciate it.
    Smriti