Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Parents beware of their maid

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Lantau35 - first of all - check your facts. Maddy's parents could clearly see the entrance to their villa from where they were sitting. Whoever took the child went in through the back/window. In this, what the parents did is no different from a parent sitting out in their backyard, and someone climbs in a window.

I would never go to a Tapas Bar and leave my kids, and I would not expect my DH to do so, either. But in terms of your questin, it would be more a question of whether, in your scenario, if I had given the DH permission to do what you describe. If I hadn't then she would be at fault. If I had, then the fault lies with me - although in either case, and certainly in the case of Maddy, the fault really lies with the bastard who took her.

You can be as cynical as you like about my feelings about my DH. She's been with us for two years, and in that time I have not faulted her care or judgment. My kid loves her, and I know that I am so lucky to have her. The other side of the coin is that she knows she is lucky to be with us - in an environment where she is valued, and treated as such.

lantau35 is offline Registered User
    Ahhh - if only we could all finder a DH like yours....what a wonderful life it would be. I would literally bound out of bed each morning grinning from ear to ear...

I disgree with your view that the parents in the Madeline case were clearly being able to see the apartment - but that's OK. On the more serious and important issue of it being the person who took her that's really responsible, I would agree of course. And on the most important issue - everyone wants to see Madeline (and the many other missing children sometimes forgotten in the media scrum over this particular case) brought home where they belong. I hope there is some good news in this case before long.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Lantau25 - again with the cynicism? you obviously don;t believe my comments about my helper - but it's so much easier to believe the bad than the good, isn't it? Perhaps you could ask yourself why that is?

The parents were 'less than 100 yards away' (bbc). If you were living in the USA, UK. Canada etc, you could be down the end of yoru backyard and be further away from a kid.

If a child get snatched from a supermarket wen the parent is around the corner of the aisle, does that make it their fault? Or if they're snatched from 1 meter outside a school gate? WHere do you draw the line between parental/school/crgiver responsibility, and the obvious blame that goes to the kidnapper?

lantau35 is offline Registered User
    "On the more serious and important issue of it being the person who took her that's really responsible, I would agree of course. And on the most important issue - everyone wants to see Madeline (and the many other missing children sometimes forgotten in the media scrum over this particular case) brought home where they belong. I hope there is some good news in this case before long."

As I said above, in my last post - I think this is the really important thing, don't you?

Anyway - I seem to have taken both of us rather off-message and away from the original thread (Parents - Beware of Your Helpers). I apologise for that - my fault I think.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I agree with Woodk6, there is no way i would leave my child alone in a hotel room even if i could see it. If you can stump up the cost of a holiday you can surely stump up the cost for a babysitter for a couple of hours. What is more precious than your child? A meal, undisturbed by your children? I think not.

I feel very, very sorry for Maddy. As for her parents - they will have to live with their reckless decision for the rest of their lives while Maddy might have to pay for it with her life. Bad things happen every day but why up the chances of it happening by leaving your kids alone in a room?

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User
    I don't really want to get involved in this argument but I actually have to agree with happy v on one account.Back home in Australia we own a large three storey house. The bedrooms are on the top floor and the kitchen and a lot of the living area on the ground floor. The distance between me in the kitchen and my childrens bedrooms would definitely be further away than Maddies parents were. Consequently if someone was to break in throught the bedroom window and take them away, would that then make me liable? I have to say that once they are asleep, I don't keep checking on them.

Also, I feel blessed to have a DH. Yes, she's not perfect, but hey, back home I wasn't paying much less for a cleaner to come in for a mere four hours per week. My DH works a 12 hour day, does most things without being prompted, and above all she appears to love my children. What more could I ask for?

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I think there's a difference between letting your kids play in your own garden or in their room, albeit a few stories away and leaving them alone in a hotel room whilst you go out to dinner. For one you don't have strangers walking past their room all day and all night long like you do in hotels. Valuables go missing in hotels all the time (from people breaking into rooms) so why would you leave your kids alone? It's just a risk that doesn't need to be taken.

Matty is offline Registered User
    You can't make a blanket judgement in this situation.
    Just last week my husband and I weighed up the decision of leaving our 9 mth old asleep in our hotel room while we ate dinner.

We discussed the Maddie situation, I felt a little nervous at first but there was basically no rear access to our villa, the resturant was about 50m across a patch of lawn, to enter someone would have to walk by us, and we could see the door.

We had the monitor on and we could hear every noise inside the room.
    It was absolutley no different to sitting in a backyard, with the baby asleep inside the house.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast