Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Parents beware of their maid

aussiegal is offline Registered User

"It was absolutley no different to sitting in a backyard, with the baby asleep inside the house."

I still don't agree. You simply don't have hundreds of strangers walking, sleeping, hanging out right outside the room your children sleep in when at home as you do in a hotel.

At least you had a monitor on so you could hear what was going on whilst your children slept but personally i still couldn't do it.

Each to his own however.

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User

At the risk of playing devils advocate here, if you are in the backyard, couldn't 'strangers' still be walking past the front door? What about the mail man, Jehovas witnesses or just the neighbours visitors ?And wasn't the point that the intruder came through the window anyway? I know when we go on holidays we usually get adjoining rooms, so in theory, we could be in one room and the intruder could still have come through the childrens window and taken them without our knowledge.

Personally I have never done what Maddies parents did, but to sit back in judgement is just wrong! Retrospect is always allows us to have 20 20 vision.No one really knows what they would do until they are in the situation. Sorry, I am in a cranky mood this morning, but I am sick of people placing judgement on others so easily. Shouldn't we mothers all be supporting each other instead of taking the first opportunity to criticize and tell them where they went wrong.

At the end of the day, we all love our children and do our best to the best of our knowledge. None of us would intentionally put our child in harms way, but sometimes we just need to step back a little and 'get a life.' I want my children to have the freedom to run and explore, roll in the grass and get really dirty.I will do everyting in my power to make sure I don't become a 'helicopter parent' who constantly hovers over them monitoring their every moment. Instead I hope they develop wonderful imaginations and the ability to get on in social situations without having to have me around all the time for confidence.

Sophwillsmum, I was merely expressing my opinion on the subject and stating that I would never do it and why. I clearly stated 'each to his own' showing I'm not judging the parents though i can't understand what they did. I'm allowed to express my own thoughts on the subject.

I stand by my comment that you cannot compare leaving your children in your own backyard or upstairs to in a hotel room. I know you are from Australia so unless you lived in a house on Oxford st or on a very, very busy st there's no way the same number of strangers would walk past your house as happens in a hotel filled with people you don't know.

Was your helicopter mum comment a general comment or was it directed at me or someone else in particular? Either way it sounds pretty judgemental to me....

You're right that at the end of the day we all love our kids and do what we think is best for them. I'm just not a believer in taking unnecessary risks with them. This doesn't mean i mollycoddle them but they won't be getting a motoribike license as long as they live in my house if you know what i mean.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

I believe culture plays a big part in influencing how we raise our kids. I can't speak for all HKers but my family, friends and myself (mostly ocals) are very very shocked to learn that some parents leave kids unattended in hotel room or use baby sitter provide by hotels. This is just something that a lot of us have never heard of.

HappyV is offline Registered User

Why is it extraordinary to use a babysitter in a hotel? Do you really sit in with the children all night, every night? Or do you now use hotels? Or you you take your helper?

We hire sitters - which was my original point. If you can afford to go on holiday surely you can afford a babysitter so you can go out and enjoy yourself too.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

We recently took our baby to Philippines for a short vacation. We took him everywhere we went. We couldn't go clubbing at night or smoke or stay out too late but we thought that's what parents do -- plan holiday and activities around the kid once become parents. We were married for 9 years before we decided to have this baby. We never expected life would be the same once we have a new addition to the family.

I can't imagine trusting my baby with a hotel baby sitter not because for fear that the hotel baby sitter would snatch him. It is just that babies are delicate and I would want to be sure whoever is handling him has the skills and patience. A hotel baby sitter is not like the nanny at home who knows his moods and how to sooth him when he is distressed. Also, I don't think the baby would want to be with someone he is not familiar with. Besides, if my hubby and I had to go to a dinner having to worry what's going on with the baby in the hotel room, might as well take him with us. If the restaurant is not baby-friendly, then we'll just pick another place.

Well, it is not my business how other parents want to spend their holidays. You may also argue that the same could happen at school. I am not writing this to judge anyone. I am just expressing my opinion, that I would not leave my baby to a stranger or unattended in a hotel room. No, I can't watch him 24/7 but I would do the best I can to prevent the obvious risks.

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    Why is it extraordinary to use a babysitter in a hotel? Do you really sit in with the children all night, every night? Or do you now use hotels? Or you you take your helper?
    I've never used a sitter in a hotel either. After D goes to bed, we both catch up on our reading, or watch a bit of tv with the volume on low. When he was a baby, we'd take him with us for dinner and he'd fall asleep in his stroller.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast