Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Parents beware of their maid

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    The hotels we use all have very strict policies on who can babysit on their premises. You must use one of their recommended agencies and though the fees are quite high they are worth it as they have screened every candidate. We've always found the babysitters to be great. Most of the time they are women in their fifties. For the most part I'd rather leave my kids with them than my own mother who doesn't have much a maternal instinct shall we say...

I agree though that when you have kids you just accept that life has changed and the kids come first. We're happy to have our days revolve around the kids but have also appreciated a night out when travelling. We were just in New York for what was my first time and couldn't imagine not going out at night at least a couple of times during the stay. That would be sacrilege. Fortunately the babysitter was so good we didn't worry at all. We've kept her number for when we go back!

aldougie is offline Registered User
    For all those sitting in judgement of the McCann's - they have to live with their decision for the rest

aldougie is offline Registered User
    Sorry posted before I finished! They have to live with their decision for the rest of their lives. I stayed at this resort last year, infact a couple of apartments down from where Maddie was taken. It isn't a hotel as you imagine with 100's of people traipsing past every day. It is a quiet street, with the apartments set well back from the road, screened by trees at the front (which unfortunately was why they were able to take her as they came through the front bedroom window I believe forcing the screen). The apartments are a mixture of holiday lets and people living their permanently and the McCann's would have been able to see the back patio window to their apartment from the Tapas bar. Contrary to what Mark Warner have said it was difficult to get a babysitter and their sitting service was rubbish - taking and dropping off was not an option for us as it would have completely messed up their sleep patterns. We didn't leave our kids as they aren't good sleepers but for years people have done this using baby monitors - my parents certainly left us when we were little using hotel listening services.

The McCann's were lulled into a false sense of security because of the family friendliness of the place and the fact they were so close to where their children were. I have nothing but pity for them as this was a judgment call that many people have taken but for them it has had horrific consequences.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Yes they do. I feel sorrier for Maddy however.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345