Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

10 Weeks to Leap fr Sydney to Hong Kong

Marika is offline Registered User

Arrow 10 Weeks to Leap fr Sydney to Hong Kong

Hi There,
    My spouse has just accepted a job in Hong kong, he is with a large investment bank, we are moving in 10 weeks. I have a 4 yr old and 19mth old. I have read through through the settling in Hong Kong guide, which I am sure will not prepare me for what is to come. Any tips on what to bring or what is missed by most Aussies/Expats? I think I will leave nearly everything in Oz and just start fresh. I am most looking forward to home help and the amazing culture. How do most Hong Kong expat spend weekends? Do they go away for weekends away? Marika

xox is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Bring your favourite deodorant, Tim Tams & tampons.
    Welcome to HKG!

jamesandsimo is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    welcome, many aussie's live here. You'll be coming right in the middle of summer - so to be honest, most weekends are spent inside or at the pool! Many expat's go away for the whole of summer because it gets so hot. I don't, but i do spend alot of time at the pool and indoors.

Do you know where you'll be living? that also can determine what you do. I will send you a PM with other things.

I miss Allen's lollies the most!!!! its the little things. But really, you can get most things here.

Matty is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    XOX, you can still buy the Aussie made Tim Tams at Olivers. Sometimes you can even get the double coat ones!
    I agree on the tampons, the brands here aren't great. I bring in Cottons from OZ.

Expat weekends vary alot, depending on whether you have kids and how old they are.
    Before children, there was lots of eating at resturaunts and late nights out, now it tends to be BBQ's at friends houses and hiking.

It takes a bit of adjusting to change from Oz to HK, but the lifestyle here, although very different, is great.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Hi Marika,
    we moved from Sydney to HK three months ago.

You can find most things here so bring as little as possible. Furniture is a lot cheaper so it's a great opportunity to have things made.

Things I miss about Sydney are the quirky shops selling cool homewares. There's not much here that's interesting (imho) so i'll be stocking up when we go home.

Books. Bring lots of books if you read because the bookshops are really bad.

A backyard. Oh it would be nice to have one again!

Have you decided where you will be living? That will determine what you miss the most. For me it's simple things you can't buy like blue skies, fresh air and clean beaches (the water that is). And we live Southside where arguably you have the best of them all.

But the bonuses are huge too particularly with young families. Find a good helper and your life will be great.

As for weekends, join a club or make sure wherever you have has great facilities so you can hang out at the pool etc. You'll meet lots of people that way and have something easy to do with your weekends when you can't be bothered traipsing kids around Hong Kong looking for things to do.

Good luck!

Marika is offline Registered User

Thanks For the Hot Tips

Thank you so much for all your replies, you have already mentioned quite a few things that I would never have guessed at bringing.
    I will definitely be stocking up on any woman survive without those I will never know and Tim Tams! and Allan's Chico Babies!
    And I love love love groovy homeware stores that stock great gifts!
    Have not decided on where to live, I am actually leaving that up to my spouse, which is dangerous, his forte is maths not other mundane matters. I think we'll end up in Midlevels as that at this point convenience is what I would like.
    Cheers - can't wait to meet you and share my tim tams.
    I will post again:)