Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Coping with 2 helpers

angeilin is offline Registered User

Coping with 2 helpers

Anyone with experience of using 2 helpers? I'm thinking of hiring a second helper to do the housework whilst the other one is dedicated to look after the baby. Any advice on potential problems?

arleneli is offline Registered User

2 Helpers

From my experience, some domestic helpers may not get along well. They got jealous, and some of them feel they DO MORE work than the other, while receiving the same salary. So I suggest you make a clear separation on their tasks. If possible, hire the second one (the one do the house work) younger than the first one, so she will respect the older one and have less arguments. My second domestic helper is much younger and I find my first DH treating her like her little sister :)

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

A friend hired a relative of the helper as a second helper and still they quarelled all the time. Eventually she has to let go of one and just hire a part time to assist with house work.

But I also see a family with 3 DHs working perfectly well together. The 3 DHs each has very specific job responsibilties and I guess that helped.

momo is offline Registered User

I think it all depends on the helpers' personality. I have 2 Indonesian helpers and initially I assigned specific tasks - one for looking after the house and one for the children, but the one looking after the house got jealous as she thinks the one looking after the children has an easier job and the one looking after children is not exactly helpful doing house work even when the children are at school and I am home from work looking after the children myself. In the end I have to rotate their duties so that they have alternate months of looking after children and house. Having to deal with 2 helpers might seem a luxury problem but it is a real pain when you are working full time and have to come home to two squabbling petty helpers.

kellyst is offline Registered User

we have two and rotate their duties between housework and taking care of the baby weekly. this was due to the fact that the 'taking care' of the baby tasks was actually much more tiring than actual housework, and one was getting burnt out from it.
    we've had them, both quite young, but one 3 years younger than the other. there's definitely a big sister, younger sister thing going on. they've had 2 fights over the past year, we know coz all of the sudden, they are all quiet with each other, but have worked it out eventually. overall, we've been lucky that they've really gotten along well.
    due to the rotation in jobs, we do have one 'lazier' helper who always gets a bit less done when it's her week to do housework, leaving the other to 'pick up her pieces' when it's the other week. we notice these but sometimes, it's a bit difficult to correct, but we do try to be fair. in some cases when they have fixed jobs, clear division of tasks is essential.
    i agree, it's always a gamble, you almost have to EXPECT that they won't get along and hope for the best.

angeilin is offline Registered User

Thanks for the advice. I hired one that is Filipino and the next one is actually an Indonesian. Hope it'll work out

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

I hope they both speak English or one common language.

Bear Lau: