Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Payment in lieu of holidays

snagito is offline Registered User

Payment in lieu of holidays

Our DH has said that if we ever need her to, she's happy to work on a Sunday or a public holiday and that instead of giving her an alternative day off, that we could pay her instead for that day.
    I read in the immigration guide that this is illegal and I can understand why.

In practical terms, I doubt we will need her to work on a Sunday or holiday but should we ever need her to (in some emergency or the other) I am confused about what to do. I can understand her wanting to have the money instead and I would like to give it to her if it is not too much of a risk. What do you think? How do others handle this? Does one just divide DH's monthly salary by 30 or 31 to equal a day's wage and give them that instead of the day off? Or does one divide by the actual working days in a month (ie: excluding Sundays).

Please advise, just want to be prepared. Thank you!

carang is offline Registered User

if you pay minimum it works out to be about $111-135/day... i'd double it at least if she's working when she shouldn't be.

or we have on occasion needed our helper just for a couple of hours on a sunday morning because both hubby and i were working. we paid her $50/hour. for any portion of an hour she worked. so, if she worked 2.25 hours, we paid her for 3 hours.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

it is not legal but a lot of people 'buy' the DHs holidays. Some DHs just want to make more money so they are happy if you pay them a couple hundred and some prefer day offs consequently would expect more.

joannek is offline Registered User

do get her sign something to acknowledge receipt of the extra pay. at the end of the contract, you get to keep whatever extra oinl lieu you have paid her, & no need for her to keep copy.

kashismum is offline Registered User

I've recently had a rethink of this issue. I always believed it was illegal and would substitute a Sunday worked with an alternate day off.

However, the 'official guidelines' differ in refrence to a rest day and a holiday(http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/wcp/FDHguide.pdf). They say it is not allowed to pay in lieu of a statutory holiday worked. In reference to a rest day worked, they simply say 'You may however, with the consent of your helper, substitute some other day for the appointed rest day.'

So, I recently asked my helper what she'd prefer - day off or payment - and she preferred the latter. I agreed since it is her choice. I would be happy to give her the day off if that was what she preferred.

Agree with Cara that the actual daily rate should be doubled. When I worked overtime or on holidays in the UK I would earn 'time and a half' or 'double time'.
    That's my 2 cents!

Last edited by kashismum; 06-07-2007 at 09:43 AM.

joannek is offline Registered User

i mean keep the signed documents for yourself, no need to give her, or any third parties copies.

jamesandsimo is offline Registered User

wow, 111 per day, if they work an 8 hour day, which most helpers do more, thats only about $13.80 per hour. less than 2 us a day. puts alot of these posts into perspective for me re helper issues.

carang is offline Registered User

well, if you take 3400x12= 40800/year

then if you take off 52 days (for sundays) its $130/day....i didn't take off for paid holidays...
    the last time i figured it out i did it differently and it came out to $111, but in all honesty, i can't remember how i got the $111.

even so, $130/day is peanuts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast